MM pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ostrzoskrzydly, Oct 22, 2003.

1. ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    There's a big chance I'll be ordering a custom bass with a MM pickup soon, so I guessed I'll look for some advice here.
    The default option is the Seymour Duncan MM pickup+electronics, but they also do bartolini, and aguilar without much fuss. Of course other things also shouldn't be crossed out, but consider the availability in my remote European location. Now what should I get ?
    I'm looking for a clear hi-fi, modern tone with a good edge, but also one that will be very responsive to my technique and transparent. Due to that I have also considered going passive as (as far as I know) all active preamps tend to color the tone a bit and can hide expression, dynamics etc...
    Help me !
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I can't speak about all MM pup choices, but in general Barts tend to be warmer and less edgy. I am currently using a Duncan alnico MM pup in one of my basses and it is very aggressive. There is loads of growl. Of course, the coil-tap switch plays an important roll in determining the tone out of an MM pup.
  3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Of the types you've listed I'd go with Basslines pickup and Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. Sweeeeet...:D