Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Piezo and midi / v-bass output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Jun 16, 2004.

1. I put this post in set up and got it moved but I can't find it anymore? so here goes again!
    Is it possible to use the piezo's on a Musicman bass to output to a midi device or v-bass via one of the RMC converters?
    Are there any other options than RMC?

Tony

2. tony-
    to run the vbass you'll need a 13pin convertor or some type of polydrive setup from the piezos to a 13pin output. so i guess after some extensive type of rewiring, you might be able to (althou not sure if its worth it) to drive the polydrive
    http://www.rmcpickup.com/polydrivei.html
    Not sure really

3. Like FCM3 says, you'd have to do some serious rewiring to get 13-pin output from the MM piezos, and it's probably more trouble than it's worth. If it were me, I'd think about just using the regular GK pickup (perhaps the "internal" version) instead--I never had any problem running my V-bass with it.

Mike

4. I figured if I had a bass with piezos I may as well take advantage of that option!

The internal version of the GK-2B will probably do the job, the only info I can find on the Roland site is about this, GK-KIT-GT: GR-Synth Driver? I assumed this was just for guitar as it doesn't mention bass, is this the baby?

Tony

5. Tony-
    I have a Vbass GK-2b internal kit up for grabs if your interested.
    The internal kit basically removes the external contoller and places a series of switches on the outside of the bass. You can prolly get away w/ hard wiring a few option in the "on" or "full" position to eliminate any additional clutter. But you'll need the on/off, and bank/up/bank down as a minimum. I suspect you know you'll have to drill your bass to mount the thing. Let me know if your interested
    frank