Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM placement.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassForLife, Jan 16, 2005.

1. BassForLife

BassForLife

Dec 8, 2004
    What is the normal placement of a single MM (Music Man)
    pickup?

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I am installing one myself. I was told anywhere. The placement will make a difference in tone though. an MM closer to the neck with produce a sound with more mids and one closer to the bridge will produce a sound with more bass.

3. BassForLife

BassForLife

Dec 8, 2004
    I would like to know where they are located on actual MusicMan basses.

4. Find a picture of a MusicMan somewhere on the Net and measure its position relative to the scale length, or go to a local shop with one and measure.

5. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'll measure when I get home tonight.

6. Worshiper, you've got that turned around. The pups mounted closer to the bridge accent mid/highs and the neck pups accent lows.

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    opps. Sorry..Thanks for the correction though.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I was just searching for the original MM placement cause I knew I'd seen it posted. Didn't seem to pull up in this search but for a change I apparently actually made note of it and more amazingly found it.

13 1/8" from center of 12th fret to center of pup. Never got posted here so if someone does a search, here it is.

Never had an MM bass so if that's not correct, let me know.

9. What luknfur said. The question has been asked so many times the answer should just be pinned.

10. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Perhaps someone could just make a sticky with common pickup locations.

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It's already there in the FAQ (sticky at top of this forum). Post #19, Musician's Reference spreadsheet.

12. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, how bout that, now I'm the fool....:rollno:

13. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    dang... the FAQ is such a good tool.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep may be so but I know why I've never seen it, not that I haven't tried.

If you're connections slow as a turtle and you don't want go through a series of links then download more software for more clutter in order to read a link, you're SOL.

Don't know what's there in terms of listings for placement but if it would fit into a reasonable length post, I would appreciate it if someone would copy it into one so I get a copy of it. Then you can delete it thereafter if you want. Otherwise guess I'll do without.

Thanks regardless.

15. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I actually downloaded that and looked at it a while back, but never noticed the tabs at the bottom left. There is a ton of info on there, just a lot to navigate through as well.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    No big deal. Not likely to forget where it's at now and will jump through the hoops if required, much more likely to refer someone else to it than need it myself.