Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM replacement pickup for Carvin?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thathatman, Nov 2, 2002.

1. thathatman

thathatman

Sep 17, 2002
    La Mirada, CA
    I have a carvin LB70 and, like the rest of the world, am dissatisfied with the HB2 MM-style pickup. What pickup would be good to replace it with? i need some better MM tone out of it, and i don't have the skills to route the body.
    Thanks

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I replaced mine with a Basslines MM pickup (the ceramic one that is cheaper). I also changed the toggle switch to 3 way (series/parallel/single).
    The Basslines was a big sound improvement, but I ended up selling the Carvin anyway because I just got tired of Carvin gear, plus it never gave me the sound I really wanted (something with a little more meat on it).
    Adding the Basslines will not give you the MM sound on a carvin. You would probably need to change the pre-amp too. I have owned both a Carvin LB70 and a Stingray. Both are now sold.

-KB

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've tried both the Duncan Basslines and the Bartolini in stingrays, and while they smooth out the sound, they take away that "stingray" sound that I like.

If you want to just "improve" the Carvin's sound, I'd say try the Bartolini for a good overall smooth pickup. But don't expect to make it sound like a 'Ray.

Also, consider swapping the Carvin preamp out for a Bartolini as well. As a former Carvin owner, I can assure you that the bass electronics are Carvin's weak link (it sure as heck isn't the wood and craftsmanship . . .).