MM replacement preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shatner, Oct 1, 2005.

1. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Just bought a Stingray 5 but the preamp is shot. Looking to get a replacement and have done searches on Talkbass.

I want it to be a straight drop in replacement and needs to utilise the 3 way select switch. What are your thoughts?

It looks like the Barts, Aguilars and Nordstrands will all need mods to fit the 4 pot, 3 way select config.

Is the Seymour Duncan worth a look?

2. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Call Ernie Ball customer service and they should be able to get you a new preamp if you send in the old one. I would recommend sending them the bass to do the installation so it would be a 'factory' job. They may charge something if the warranty doesn't apply, but in my experience Ernie Ball customer service and repair departments are top notch, very reasonable cost and have a fast turnaround.

When you call, you will probably speak with Jon who has personally worked on and repaired three of my stingrays. They all came back as good as new for under $100 each time.

I don't think there is an aftermarket preamp available that you will be happy with, also you would lose all resale value and probably not like the end results.

I just realized you are in England, that may limit your choices. I would still look into the option, though.
  3. OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    The pick-up selection circuitry is part of the pre-amp. It also compensates for the level differences between different coil configurations. You don't get either of these with an after-market pre-amp.

I have an with an Aguiller OBP3 already installed and with the standard pick-up connections there is no way you can make the coil switching work wihthou some additional circuitry.

If you are set on a non EBMM pre-amp and want coil switching then you will also have to change the pickup to one where all six connections from the three coils are brought out separately, and work out how to switch then.

+1 on what todd 4ta says. Contact the factory directly and get them to supply a replacement unit on exchange. Taking the pre-amp out is quite easy with a low power soldering iron and some care although if you are not used to soldering get your local guitar tech to so it.
  4. shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    I will look into getting a straight Ernie Ball replacement. I'm OK with soldering but I play on a ship and am only in the country until Oct 28th. I'll have to hurry it along if I'm to get it delivered in time.

5. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon

Ernie Ball customer service is pretty darn good. I'm sure they will be able to help you.