Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sabre auction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Jun 25, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey talkbassers!

I saw this auction on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=889179992

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions to offer. I'm a little weary because the seller is not a bass player, but from the pictures the bass appears to be in good condition. I e-mailed the seller and asked if it was preEB or EB/MM era and also if the bass plays well and has good working electronics. Does anyone know if the Sabre has active or passive PUPs? I'm really tempted to bid on this bass. I've never played a Sabre, but I've heard good things and I don't really have a way of playing one. Have many people had good experiences buying basses on Ebay?
    Thanks!

--kid

2. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    Buy that thing! (if it doesn't get too expensive) if i had the $$ I would . It looks like you're gonna have some competition though. I haven't played one in about 5 years but from what I remember it's got what a stingray has but you can dial in more balz. (I play a stingray) the bridge pickup is slightly further back, so it's kinda different. I think the pickups are passive.
    Be careful w/ ebay. From my experience, I've had mixed luck. With instruments, especially vintage the term "excellent condition" or "mint" or whatever can be up to interpretation. Ask lots o questions....don't assume anything. good luck!

3. Ebay tip - If you are really interested in this bass(and it does look nice!), wait til the last 2 min of the auction before you bid. This will leave you time to make sure you have the highest bid. I have won several things this way, all the while keeping the price down.

Good luck, and let us know -
    Later -
    K.

4. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i can only comment on what i know from researching my '79 sabre....

i'd reckon it's an early 80's model - the simplified bridge, pickups (covered pole pieces) and 5-way selector and 3-band eq suggest this. i don't know if this puts it MM or Ernie Ball though.

if the p-ups are stock, they're passive, and it has 3-band eq on it too....nice.

i love my sabre - at this price i thoroughly recommend you go for it...you won't regret it :)

i would try to get more info out of the seller, esp. the serial no (on the bridge on mine), so you can date your new bass (mine's Dec '79)

i'd love to know how you get on....

5. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey!

Thanks for the info and advice. I'm still trying to decide if I can spend that much money (despite how good of a deal it is). The seller says it is an Ernie Ball/Musicman era bass and he also said that the electronics and pickups (which are active) work fine. Of course, he could be lying or he might not really know for sure since he isn't a bass player, but I'll trust him. Anyway, I'll let ya know if I win it or if I even decide to bid.... decisions decisions.

Thanks!

--kid

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another option is to just enter the maximum amount you want to bid and let proxy bidding do the work. You'll either win or you won't, and don't get upset if you don't. The biggest danger of eBay is the ego factor: thinking that winning means beating the other bidders at any cost. :eek: Never pay more than what you think the item is worth.

You probably knew that, but I'm amazed at how competitive my eBay lovin' friends can get.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

P.S. my EB Sabre was my favorite 4-string. I'm dying for a 5-string version.... I'm sure it ain't gonna happen though.

8. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Go with G&L L2000 over the Sabre. Call me crazy, but there must be a reason that the Sabres didn't sell all that great in the first place which led to their being discontinued. No disrespect to the bass; I have liked the ones I've played and I've always had a soft spot for an "orphan", but for a comparable bass, the G&L L2000 is greatly superior.

I was all set, cash in hand, to purchase 1 of the 2 Sabres that were at my favourite local vintage guitar store, 30th Street Guitars in NYC. It was only a matter of deciding if it would be the clear-coat natural or the red with see-thru pickguard.

Then I decided to a/b them with the used G&L L2000's that 30th Street had in stock. After much, much A/B'ing (and torturing of the very gracious and patient staff) I opted to go with a 1982 G&L L2000e which had much better feel, tone and output. The G&L was also significantly less expensive. Either route you go, be prepared for the fact that these basses tend to run HEAVY; lightweight ones are a rare and the light weight often comes with a financial premium.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the Sabres are more handsome than my old-skool G&L; however, they were vastly inferior in terms of tone and output, and tone is THE BOTTOM LINE! The newer G&L's with their back-loaded electronics are much better looking, IMHO.

You should definitely take the time to road-test the G&L L2000. You are likely to end up with a better-sounding bass for less of a dent in your wallet.

9. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    hmm - i wonder if they changed the pickups to actives on the eb ones ? i'm always trying to find out more about them.