Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sabre/Bongo/L-2k wiring???....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xbradx, Apr 5, 2005.

1. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok, can anybody here with any of the above mentioned basses or with any knowledge of said instruments let me know how the pickups are wired. obviously, a stingray's p/up's stock wired parallel. and the sterling has the 3-way switch for series/parallel/single. i'm more interested in the original sabre wiring setup than the later 5-way strat-type switch models.
    and with the bongo, the only info i can find is that the p/ups are both wired parallel with a blend knob.
    i did find(thanks to a thread here, that i've since lost track of...) a set of bartolini wiring diagrams that included a dualHB with 3-way switch diag that would be- outer coils/inner coils/both pickups that i'd assume that the setting for both humbuckers full on would be a bongo-style dual parallel setting.

anybody have any idea what having a V/V/EQ jazz style wiring with each p/ups wired series would sound like? like a "jazz on steroids" or something similar? i'm about to go the final step in my marcus/sabre mod and route for the neck p/u either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon. just trying to decide on how i want to handle the wiring and the positioning of the neck p/u.

my three choices for the position of the neckHB are: bridge coil where the jazz neck p/up is(more like a sabre), neck coil where the jazz p/up is(L-2000 style setup), or right in between with the center of the two coils right where the coils of the jazz p/up is.

of course if anyone can point me towards a j-p/up sized dual-coil HB so i don't have to do the additional routing, it'd be greatly appreciated. like the Duncan hot-stack neck maybe???
    but yeah, either way i go with the pickups, any wiring diagrams and advice would be greatly appreciated. :help:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The original Sabre is wired parallel, with a switch for treble boost, a phase switch, and a pickup selector switch.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Dual coil Bart diagram your refering to is on the Bart site and it's wired series HB not parallel, but I can think of no reason it couldn't be wired parallel instead.

Smash has a thread wiring J's in series (search), and switching as well for that matter, and caps. The most apparent difference in series to me is it's double to triple the output.

It's sounds like you're saying you have a J bass. With a J bass your tonal options are basically unlimited since there have been more J's made than the rest of the pups styles combined. Chances of getting a J bass with stacked HB's to sound like a side by side HB are about the same as finding an HB with coils split that really sounds like a single J (not unheard of but not likely as a rule). Four starters, they're sensing different portions of the string. The components and design of a pup result inherent characteristics and limitations - and at any rate, can't be compensated for without sacrificing something else.

4. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    well, it's all done except for getting the wiring setup finalized. as you can see in the pic below, i went with neck p/up spacing basically right between the sabre and L-2k, but not quite with the new route centered over the original jazz p/up route. if i had the neck coil setting right where the previous jazz p/up had been, it would have gone right to the edge of the pickguard and i wouldn't have the option of cutting it out and putting it back on(if i go that route).
    i think i've pretty much decided on just having both p/ups wired for series/parallel switching(right now, i have the bridge wired for series/split(bridge coil)/parallel and the neck wired series/parallel(only had one 3-way switch on hand).
    but i was just wondering, with both p/ups being humbuckers, should i reverse the wiring of one of them for when i use both together? and if so, does it matter which one?
    oh, and i found those bart schematics, and figured out that they use the same colored wires(black, white, red, green) as the duncans, but they correspond to the opposite coils so it took a minute to figure out what was what in the diagrams.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I can think of no reason to swap leads unless it's out of phase when it's wired up.