Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sabre question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mingustoo, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Hi, I'm looking at buying an old Sabre. My question is this: the pickups are covered, that is, no exposed pole-pieces. The guy swears they are original but I have never seen MM pickups without exposed pole-pieces. They look like EMG 's to me. Can someone clear this up for me? BTW it sounds good-a fuzzy burp but with lots of variance. And it's soooo light! TKS

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The old Sabres I saw (even back when they were new :p ) never had the exposed pole pieces. Probably originals.

3. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Wasn't there a transition period from MM to Ernie Ball when the covered pickups appeared?
    All the Sabres I have seen with the EB moniker have had covers, and some sweet finishes too... yeah, I want one.

4. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm not sure they made the Sabre after the EB takeover of Music Man. I know I played a few old (i.e. way pre EB) that had the covered, EMG looking pups. I've never seen a Sabre with the (twin) StingRay type of pups.

5. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    anything like these beauties?
    If it sounds good... ...I'd go with it.

I'd prefer covered pole peices to exposed ones... ..more because of my own tendency to dig in too much when I get too excited. nothing like that popping sound of poles and string contact to kill a song.

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Old Pre-EB Sabres had exposed pole pieces

[​IMG]

EB and very late pre-EB Sabres had the covered pickups...

[​IMG]

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    EB made Sabres from the takeover in 1985 until 1991. The pic I posted of the Sabre with covered pickups is one of the last made.

8. thanks a lot guys! It is identical to the natural finish ones pictured. I like the sounds in it, but the finish is all gunky in the back of the neck, it could go for a fret job and therefore I think the proce is too high....except I keep hearing its tone in my head. Dirtgroove, good to see you. How ya been? Playing? Spring Screaming?

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I bought my EB Sabre new around 1989. It has the covered polepieces. It's a fantastic bass... It would still be my #1 if I didn't switch to 5 string.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Are you certain the frets need replacing? Or can you get away with just a fret leveling/grind job? I love my old '80 Sabre, they have a great sound...I'd say go for it.

Most preEB Sabres have exposed poles. Somewhere around '82 the transition happened to covered pickups, and also the three toggle switches in the control plate changed to just that slider switch. But yeah, EB continued making the Sabre for several years after the 1985 purchase of Musicman.

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Ahhh....
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I always like those basses.
    Funny I never bought one. :meh:

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If those basses belong to you, you must send both of them to me. Now.

... worth a shot, right? :ninja: :smug:

Seriously, something about Sabres is just way cool. Would love to try both pre-EB and EB versions, esp the ones in the photos.

13. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hey man likewise, caught the end of your set at the Daniel Pearl Day.- great stuff. I'll be down at Spring Scream with my most recent outfit- The Big Brass Balls Band- been gigging like it's going out of fashion. Looking to come down to Taijung for a few shows...

14. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    '79 plus a buttload of mojo................
    A few folks are Sabre fans but the Sabre is the red headed step child of the MM line. I got mine :hyper: :D

Jim

[​IMG]

15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Nope, not mine.