MM Sterling battery box problem !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Ok, I'm amazed !
    Musicman Sterling battery boxes are cheap and fragile, I broke mine while I wanted to change battery..
    They are made by Gotoh..
    I made myself a remplacement system, but I has to be changed.
    Do you know a strong, useful, with no screws box ???
  2. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Hi, did you ever find one, I had the same problem. Cheers
  3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    The OP was last seen in 2009. It might be safe to start your own thread since this one is 12 years old, but kudos on your use of the search function.
    CentralCoastBass likes this.
  4. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess." Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Augusta, GA
    I believe Fishman makes one.
  5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Battery Box |

Though I think that may actually be the same one EBMM uses. But, I certainly don't have any problems with the ones I've had. And they are cheap enough that if I did break one, it would be no big deal (to me) to just get another one and replace it.

And there are several options here:

9 Volt Battery Compartment |
  6. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I just bought a musicman replacement from my dealer
    all good
  7. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    These plastic battery boxes have given me a little cause for concern. Walterw, a guitar tech who's known for great advice, pointed out in another forum that they are fairly flimsy and could leave you without a working instrument if they were to break. I had grown a little concerned while looking them over when I had a few of them installed in all of my basses. And Walterw verified my feelings on them.

Well, there's several thousand of them out there, including my four, and I doubt they are going anywhere. I just recommend being very careful when changing batteries. And not be in the position of having to change batteries on the gig. I nearly always carry a spare bass with me. I'd still buy these things if I needed one. But if you have a bass with a screw-down cover and the good ol-fashioned battery clips, think twice about replacing that arrangement with the plastic pop-up holders. And I've personally never heard of a pop up box breaking, but it's possible to. Also, I use a white paint pin to mark the battery compartment for which way is positive. Not very easy to determine.