MM Sterling body shape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawndart, Dec 8, 2004.

1. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    They say its smaller than a StingRay. For those who have one or played one, would you say its the size of a Fender Jazz in the neck and the body?

2. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Smaller than a jazz body and it has the same neck width as a jazz at the nut but it deffinitely feels different than a jazz neck. I think personally it has one of the best playing necks there is. :)
  3. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA

The body is slightly smaller but very comfortable.
  4. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    thanks guys,
    just made it back from my LGC, they had both Rays and Sterling there so i was able to play them both. Too bad i love them both. I got to play them out of a Mesa Walkabout and Mesa 1x15. mmm mmm!!! Tons of booty. Would it be safe to say that the Ray has a slighty warmer more organic tone to it? What does the 3-way switch do on the Sterling? I'm guessing that the Sterlings switch would make it a more 'desirable' bass?
  5. The 3-way switch is for serial/single coil/parallell routing in the humbucker.
  6. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I owned a Sterling for years. Nice bass. As for the body, yes, its smaller, but only marginally so. The neck was quite thin and I while I liked it, once I became bass obsessed and started buying playing everything under the sun, the neck felt too thin when I would play it...made my hand cramp a tad when I played it...and I have girly sized hands!

Soundwise, while the Sterling does have the 3 position selector switch, I typically used it in the position closest to the bridge, which I think puts the active coils in series. More bass but also a bit scooped compared to the position closest to the neck. The middle is single coil only and was thin...I never used it. Overall, my complaint was that the Sterling never had quite the deep bottom end of the Stingray. The traditional Ray is wired parellel, which gives it more mids, but the combination of pickup, larger body and larger neck probably contribute to its fatter overall sound. I saw Maroon 5 on the tube last night, he was playing a Ray 5 string and it sounded wonderfully fat yet articulate...made me want a MM again!

Body wood has some bearing on the sound of the Sterling. The one I had for years was black, which, according to the info I read on the site a couple of years back, would mean it was a poplar body. I bought a second Sterling used made of was punchier or had more of a "hard" sound in the lower notes, but overall was not as thick or sweet sounding as the poplar.

If you really like the Sterling, you can find them used for $700-900 (Bass Central usually has a good selection). r379 is contemplating getting one and putting the Nordstrand MM replacement pickup in there...supposed to be an accurate copy of the original Ray pickup. I'd be curious to hear one. Someday I will probably add another MM to my arsenal, but it would probably be a Ray.
  7. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    that was very good food for thought. I was kinda rushed when i was playing both cause my friend had to get to work. Need more time. You said the trad Rays where wired in parallel? Is that not the case anymore? If not is it hard to convert it?
  8. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Position closest to the bridge is actually parallel, which would be the classic"stingray" setting and yes a stingray pickup is wired in parallel. When compared to my old stingray 5 it had a hotter output than the 5.
  9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've had one for three years as well as a Jazz and I find the Sterling body to be far more comfortable, the neck too but that's me, YMMV. I also thinks it's far more comfortable and versatile than a Stingray due in great part to that 3 way switch, I love the three very distinct tones I get just from moving that switch without moving anything else.
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Smaller body than a jazz. The neck is very similar, but I like it better. I love my Sterling.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally prefer Stingrays mostly, but I found the sweetest Sterling the other day. If you like the Sterling feel, but the Stingray sound, be sure to check out an Ernie Ball SUB Sterling. Ray electronics in a basswood Sterling body.
  12. Are you sure it's basswood? The Ernie Ball web site says "Selected Poplar".