Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sterling difficulties...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, May 8, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Alright. I am having a problem with my Sterling. It is a maple fretboard and right now I have the strings that came with it on it. I have been playing with what I think is a very poor 250watt peavey amp that I am borrowing. The problem I feel is that I can no get enough low end out of it. I play very bass heavy music like reggae and do not need too much versatility. I am beginning to feel that once again I have made the wrong decision. I understand that changing the type of strings can make a difference, but is it really going to make that much of a significant difference in the bass?I suggested flatwounds to the guy at GC and he said that they would sound like **** on this bass. Then again, why do I always feel like there are car salesman and not musicians talking to me at GC everytime I am there. I always tone the treble down and keep the bass up with the eq. Has anyone else ever experienced these problems with the Sterling.Maybe I was spoiled with playin that Stingray for the months waiting for the Sterling to come in, but it feels like there is something I want that the Sterling can not offer. The neck and body is great, but the sound is not there. Am I goin crazy or what here?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Strange thing, Irie...

Music Man have deep bottom end. Though I don't like Sterling very much, you should be able to get the Sting Ray tone with it.

The maple fretboard adds some clear attack to the sound, but should not exclude to get deep bottom end.

Also, Peavey amps (I owned 2 a long time ago) are not the ideal ones for low end. They tend to be "cold" and give better response in mid and high range than in low range.

However, according to what you need from a bass, I believe that a passive MIA Precision Bass would be _THE_ bass for you. But first, you should try to listen to your Sterling through an Ampeg (any model) or a Fender Bassman. Just a very personal and humble opinion...

All the best,

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a Stingray 5 and have no problems getting deep bass with 10s. Rolling the treble off and the bass up a bit on the Sterling should give you a nice rumble, as in you are doing this, it should work. If you dont try playing up by the fingerboard.

Second the 'try different amps' advice from jaylanb

4. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I have a fretless Sterling with the factory strings on it. Through my Eden (with the eq set flat), the Sterling can really rattle the room with its lows. I think you need to play through a different amp set-up.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yep. Mine does the brown note with no problems. Try a different amp.

Oh, and flats work great on a Sterling!