MM Sterling Knob/Controls Problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by until.tomorrow, Feb 22, 2004.

1. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    This past week I was playing my EB Music Man Sterling bass I noticed my sound was cutting in and out. I first checked the cables in order to make sure it was faulty or anything which wasn’t the case. Next I replaced the battery with a fresh one which didn’t solve the problem. Finally I check the knobs (or controls) on my bass only to find that the fourth one, the bass control, was the culprit. The knob isn’t super loose but if you pushed it from side to side it would make the signal cut out.

I noticed this at the beginning of the week but kind of forgot about it because the signal wouldn’t cut out completely. This weekend though, during our show the signal completely cut out. It came back in but without the volume. I had to crank my GK 1001 up in order to get a halfway decent volume.

I was wondering if it might be the soldering on that knob or maybe thing more serious. I’m thinking about taking it into the local tech but I’m at the beginning of exam week in school and then off to Europe for a trip. Hope someone can help.

2. It sounds like a bad pot to me, but you might try to take the knob off and tighten the nut down a little. Don't crank on it or anything, just make sure it isn't loose. Even if it is the pot, I'm sure it'll be an easy fix.
  3. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Either a faulty Bass pot or the lugs of that pot have broken away from their soldered joints on the Pre-Amp circuit board.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Let's see of these guys can help - moved.
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The pot needs cleaning.

I recently had exactly the same thing happen on one of my Stingray 5s. At first I thought the pickup switch was shot but EB said it was highky unlikely. In my case the volume pot was twitchy to the extent that pressing doen on the pickguard in various spots would cause it to cut out.

I opened it up and coudn't find anything broken even under a magnifying glass. On a hunch sprayed the pot with Deoxit 5 and voila. No more cutting out.

Good luck.