MM Sterling neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cubeenz, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Ok, so I'm planning on getting a MusicMan Sterling. The question is, do I get it with a maple fretboard or rosewood fretboard? I like the look of the rosewood better but have heard that you get better snap out of the maple. The store didn't have both so I only played the maple. Has anyone played both of these. I know these questions are real subjective, since it's a personal taste thing. But, since I want that bright snap, is there a very noticable difference between the maple and rosewood?
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    If you want the snap, get the maple. I get to play numerous Sterlings during the course of a day (did inventory today, got 24 of 'em :eek: ), and there is a noticeable difference. They both sound great, but the rosewood is definitely a warmer, mellower tone than the maple. I'd like a pair, fretted maple for slap stuff, and a nice fretless one, the Sterling fretless is an wonderful bass. Sadly they just don't have enough strings for me ;). Oh well, when I win the lottery, I'll get a pair just to have 'em!
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    yes there is a difference, just like Gard said. The maple will give you much more snap. Maple is the best fretboard, IMO.

Gard please read my thread "what color is this?" Perhaps you can add to the discussion since you work at basscentral?
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I love the maple neck.. I think it looks better imo... but whatever you like is what you should get man.

5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    My Sterling has a maple board and I looked for one with such for the snap. Maple also produces a clarity and glassyness that rosewood doesn't. That, of course, isn't too knock RW. I am considering buying another Sterling with a RW board for it's darker,grittier tone. Both have their applications. But, which you prefer to hear the most is up to you. Try some out.
  6. well that settles it. That's all I needed.. I want that snappy, clear, glassy tone. Thanks everyone...
  7. For what it's worth.. for some reason I prefer maple for Sterlings and rosewood on Stingrays. I have no idea why.
  8. Just before I bought my five string about a month ago, I played a RW Sterling. What a nice bass, both in feel and sound. I myself like the look, feel and sound of Rosewood over Maple, but, that's just me. If you want snap, Maple is your wood.

Let us know when you get it.
    Good luck,
    Mike J.
  9. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    you...lucky...little... bastardo..... [​IMG]
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...first time I've been called "little" in a LOOOONG time!!! :D Not the first time (or the last I'm sure) for the noun...:p

And now, there are only 23. Boxed and shipped out the Pearl Blue one this afternoon....
  11. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    aw darn Gard... now you only get to play with 23 ;)

12. i must say...

i was at GC a few days ago and i tried out the 80s Stingray with piezos (at least i think it had piezos)

it sounded really good.

but i would never get a Stingray, because the neck is so uncomfortable for me.

it has a fat neck in my opinion.
    i also like to rest my thumb on a "pickup next to the neck."

good sound, bad feel...for me
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Actually DM, only 3 - 4 are out on the wall at any time, the rest are in cases that are in boxes, many have never even been opened. And I don't get to play with any of 'em usually, it's pretty hectic there normally! :eek:

Rafterman - Try out a Sterling, I think you'll find the neck much more comfortable than the Stingray. It's more of a J-bass profile than the P-bass feel of the 'Ray. As for a place to put your thumb, get a thumbrest ;). Oh, and I don't think you tried out an '80's MM with a piezo, that option only became available in '99, I'm sure that was just a typo though :).
  14. wasn't a typo.

i only thought that it had piezos because it has those little circle thingies between the pickup and the bridge.

i just didn't know.
  15. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    ok i want another 5 and im really looking into fretboard woods this time...
    ok so:
    maple = snappy
    rosewood = dark, dirty, warm... ?
    ebony ??
    Pau Ferro, (or whatever fender uses on the american P- deluxe 5)??

if this has already been brought up, please point me to that thread, if not HELP!!