Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sterling owners: I need your help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzbassman23, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Okay. I bought a Stingray, had it ten days, decided the neck width/profile wasn't for me, so I returned the bass. In its place, I took home a Sterling. Neck feels great, and though, so far, it doesn't sound as good as the Stingray, I like it. The problem is the balance of the bass. Seems like the neck is continually working its way to the floor. I wear my bass pretty high. It's almost as if the body isn't heavy enough to balance out the neck's weight. Anybody have this problem/issue?

Dave

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    You might want to do a search here on 'neck dive' but I will try to give a quick perspective on it right now.

1. Yes some basses are more balanced than others.
    2. I find a suede strap will slide less
    3. If you hold your picking hand forearm on the bass it will even the balance. But if it hurts stop.
    4. If you left hand is supporting much weight is difficult to shift.

Good luck,
    jc

[Edited by Rockinjc on 01-10-2001 at 06:03 PM]

3. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    jc,

good call on the suede; I'm going to cut up my wife's old skirt. Yeah, right. Nah, guess I better not do that. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Dave

4. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Nice to hear from another Sterling owner. I can't find a problem with the balance of my Sterling or the two others I played before purchasing mine. FWIW I use a Levy's Leather strap that is about 3" wide and padded (comfort and no slippage).

Perhaps Rockinjc is on to something there.

Good Luck

5. I am quite pleased with the balance and feel of my Sterling. It was one of those things where when I picked it up and played it in the store, it felt like an extension of my body -- it fits so well that it seems like it isn't even there. I wear mine at a medium height; how it balances/doesn't balance might be more a function of your body type and build more so than the strap height. My Rickenbacker, for example, was a world champion neck-diver, but others who have played it have commented on its great balance. I guess it's all about finding the right individual match. As for me, putting on the Sterling is about like caressing the inner thigh of a supermodel. Mmmm!