Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sterling sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 127.0.0.1, Mar 8, 2006.

1. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    I want to know what sound does the middle position (single coil-phantom) on a single pickup MM Sterling closely resemble to. A Fender Jazz maybe?

2. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I play both as my main BG's. I find the MM to be punchier than a FJ.

In general I use the MM for Funk and general music gigs and when doubling on DB (the MM is light to carry around). I'll use the FJ for Jazz, classic Rock, and when I want a more vintage tone on recordings.

I find not too much difference between all three positions of the pick up toggle switch on the MM.

BG

3. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    Do you think that this is because of the different body material?

4. IMO, there is a world of difference between the three!

5. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Most people would seem to have this opinion but I too havn't yet discovered the useful difference between the three settings. I love the sound with the switch towards the neck.

I'd like to add that with a set of nickel rounds and my ashdown amp I have no problem getting a warm tone.

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    You're both right, it really depends on what you're playing it through. When I play my Sterling through my 400+, theres only a slight difference between the settings. When I played through an ABM500, there was an incredible difference between the settings. I think the cleaner the amp, the more it responds to the difference in settings.

7. I find that with the toggle to the neck, it's a very punchy mid range sound, with some punchy snap on top, and all the wat toward the bridge is a very full low end, a bit of scooped mids, and a snappy treble.

8. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Hmm, I'll try it w/ my new AI Focus 2RIII and see.

BG

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Not even remotely. It sounds like the middle position on a sterling ;) That one coil is in a different position, and has a totally different design than a J pickup, and thats before you add the preamp.