Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sterling Soundclips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Nov 14, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just figured out how to record to my sound card, and I was bored so..enjoy :) The foam mute used on certain clips is just a piece of foam wedged under the strings. I did this on the fretted and fretless basses. The bass was run direct from a SansAmp Acoustic DI to the soundcard. All controls flat. NAME THAT TUNE! Can anyone guess what bass line I'm playing in the "Sterling Fretless w/ Foam Mute #1" and "Sterling Fretted w/ Foam Mute #2" clips?

[​IMG]

Sterling Fretless w/ Foam Mute #1 - Switch in Parallel Position
    Sterling Fretless w/ Foam Mute #2 - Switch in Paralell Position
    Sterling Fretless - Switch in Parallel Position
    Sterling Fretless - Switch in Series Position
    Sterling Fretless - Switch in Single Coil Position
    Sterling Fretted w/ Foam Mute #1 - Switch in Single Coil Position
    Sterling Fretted w/ Foam Mute #2 - Switch in Single Coil Position
    Sterling Fretted - Switch in Parallel Position
    Sterling Fretted - Switch in Series Position
    Sterling Fretted - Switch in Single Coil Position

2. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Fretted #2 : Steelers Wheel - Stuck in the middle with you. i had to play that at college on my course. great bassline.

I love that sound...it sounds so...spongy. How did you do it, just place a piece of foam under each string? I gotta try this.

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I posted a pic above of what I did. Here it is again

[​IMG]

They're just some foam pieces I found on my dads work bench. I just had to cut the height down alittle bit. You can get the same effect with a regular kitchen sponge.

Anyone want to guess on what the Sterling Fretless w/ Foam Mute #1 line is? Hint..its a beatles tune

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks for posting the clips! :)

I'm sorry, but: I think that bass sounds alittle dull! Are you using old strings on it?

I played a Sterling recently and it was totally "clickity clackity", with a piano like wiry tone and glassy highs. It seemed to have more growl too.

Anyway, its a really nice tone, very warm and thick ;).

Cheers!
    -Erlend

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Eh the strings might be alittle old, but I really don't play alot so..

Dull..hmm, was that on all the clips? Well it could be the strings or just the recording. I'm willing to bet its just my sound card. Maybe the fact that I had everything completely flat could have something to do with it. The Sterling isn't as aggressive as the Stingray anwyay.

Thanks for the comments :)

6. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Ah yes, so you did, my apolgies for my stupidity, i've been playing the new mario kart game for about 6 hours solid and it's worn my brain!

*finds some foam*

7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Tobias: I'm sorry: "Dull" isnt the rigth word. Its just darker and warmer than i'm used to :) . I'm not meaning to diss your tone, im sorry if you felt it that way.

I only listened to the "fretted" bass clips. Now i've listened to the fretless ones, and they sound cool! Nice growl and "mwah", especially for a Pao Ferro fingerboard ;).

Anyway, the sterling i played sounded like a serial killer on acid. It was the tighest, brigthest, clackiest and most "Piano" sounding bass i've played. Like you said, that may have anything with the recording to do.

Btw, why is the Stingray more agressive sounding than the Sterling? Is it because of its neck joint and body size?

Thanks!
    -Erlend

***Edit: Where did you play with your "picking" hand? To me it sounds like you played close to the brigde :)***

8. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Well, I attached some kitchen sponge foam to the bridge of my Ibanez EDA-900

and it sounds fookin ace. Admittedly i have only played it on my practice amp, i shall try it out on my big trace elliott tomorrow. but it sounds really good. it takes the "edge" off of the EDA which i have been disliking as of late. If i turn up the piezo pickup, this seems to almost modify how much the string is muted too! it's like with no piezo its a soft sound, and the more piezo the more you can "hear the sponge" so to speak, and seems to make it softer. which is the total opposite of what it does without the sponge. this is fantastic!

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Umm, i can't get it to play. It sees it as an M3U file, so it thinks its a playlist... i've tried winamp, windows media player and iTunes...

10. Very nice sounding clips, Tobias4. :)

Lewk, keep playing that Ibanez EDA900! They're great sounding basses, aren't they?

I have an EDA905 fretless, and I'm in love.

Mike

11. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Micheal Jewels : Yeah, i love it a lot. i got it for my 18th birthday, to replace my old 1980s squier p-bass (which i gave to a friend, out of the goodness of my heart. spread the bass love). I do love it, i think its a fantastic bass for the money. It looks camp as christmas, mind, but thats another story.

I think its a "love/hate" bass, and im not so hot in finding great tones, but sometimes i hit a tone i love, and write the settings down. i have a lot of tones written down, depending on my mood. heh.

I am, however, currently looking for a second bass, which is the total opposite to it. i'm going for a trad wood bass, currently considering fender jazz or a stingray. i'm also probably picking up my first fretless next week for about £70. i dunno if it will be any good, i'm gonna give it some good playing next week (it's a tutor at colleges bass), and use that to get used to fretless. who knows, i may end up buying a fretless when i get my new *big* purchase. thats a while off yet, mind.

anyway yeah, i love the EDA. i love this whole sponge mute thing. i love bass guitar.

12. Lewk, for settings, try these:

1) Magnetic pup - full.
    2) Piezo pupd --- half to 3/4.
    3) Magnetic EQ -- 3/4
    4) Piezo EQ ----- Start at half, then go up slowly. Too much piezo treble can destroy the old eardrums, know what I mean?

I think you'll like fretless. If it seems weird at first, don't give up - stick with it. It's a differnt animal, but so well worth it.

Good weekend.

Mike

13. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    thats very similar to the settings i commonly use at the minute, thouhg this sponge thing will require some adjustment, i expect.

the whole reason i'm getting the fretless is that its another string to my bow (so to speak). as is playing with a pick (which i have recently started to do again for songs that require it) and also playing with these sponge mutes. i figure the more i can do the better and more versatile i will be in the future.

14. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Well that was alot of fun!!!

I liked all the clips... I dig the tone. I think I preferred the fretted, no mutes, series.. I also liked the fretted, no mutes, parallel.. but series was just a little fatter, which I thought sounded better for that type of groove.

I really like sterling basses, I think my next bass will be a sterling... then again, I have only played 2 of them.. I liked the alder/rosewood sterling I played. Nice basses, great tone.

Thanks for the clips :)

15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hey thanks for all the positive comments guys. I tend to think my playing/tone sucks so this helps :)

Romeoarmada - Hmm...try right clicking and SAVE AS. If it doesn't work, I'll send you the *.wav files

Lewk - Glad its working out for you :) Its always great to find something that helps you reach the tone you're after even more

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    The pickups are alittle different. Made out of a different material.

I played over the pickup on all the clips except for the Fretless w/ Foam Mute #2 and Fretted w/ Foam Mute #2 I played alittle closer to the neck I believe..I don't remember *lol*

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, i "Save As"'ed all of them, and they are all .m3u..., so none of them can play...

18. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't know why thats happening. They are *.mp3 and no one else has had a problem..hmm

19. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Get Quicktime.

20. it's one on Abbey road..."you never give me your money"?