Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sterling switch config.........

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnebass, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    Yo, :help: I have just got hold of a MM 1996 Sterling with the three way switch selector however although it is a great bass it doesn't seem to have the same big sound that my stingray gives me. I understand that the 3 way switch on the stering is for Series, parallel and single coil, but can anyone explain what this means in real terms as the sterling seems a much more versitile bass and I prefer playing it. What is the stingray pickup, series? :help:

This is my first time on this site so please bear with me.

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Stingrays are wired in parallel permanently and tend to produce more bottom end in general than Sterlings do. The Sterling in series will have more high end, this is with the switch pointing towards the headstock, single coil will be the thinnest and I actually like the slap sound when set this way, and parallel will be with the switch pointing to the bridge and will reward you with more bottom, less highs and more general phatness. Most people say, and I agree, that the Sterling cannot sound like a 'Ray exactly, but it gets close enough for my purposes and the smaller neck is nice. It's the only 4 string left in my stable and the bass I keep coming back to no matter what because it's just so perfect in so many ways.

3. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
  4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
  5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When i mine in the parallel position it seems to have less highs/treble than in series :meh: Series has more output but also seems to have more treble. Parallel takes some of the edge off.

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I only know what my bass tells me brother and when MY bass is in parallel mode it has less, not more, highs and more lows. Series produces more output yes, and a lot more high end with a less rounded sound. I may be wrong but only if my Sterling is wired improperly....

7. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    Thanks Guys, thanks for all of your help. I suppose at the end of the day I'll have to play the thing and see what suits. My main concern was still getting the "big" stingray sound.

Although my Stingray is quite easy to play the Sterling just knocks spots of it, so with the long gigs and the light weight of this Bass I'll probably end up using the Stering all of the time...................so long as I can get near to the Stingray sound.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I thought it was Single coil pointing to the headstock, series in the middle, and parallel pointing to bridge...

Or did i read that other guys post wrong and that's what he said?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Series: neck
    single: middle
    parallel: bridge

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yup.

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Just look at the wiring in EB's page. Mine's a SR5 but circuitry is exactly as the Sterling. It sounds with more loudness (more highs and lows with less midrange) in parallel (lever towards the bridge), midrangy in the center position (single) and recovers the low end (but not the highs) when I put it towards the neck (series). In this position, there's a noticeable increase in the bass' gain. Hope it helps!

ANDRUCA

12. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    Used it last night and it was all I hoped and more. The middle setting (single coil) doesn't seem to be of any use but the parallel and series modes are awsome. Big big sound!!! :hyper: