1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM sterling VS stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Mar 31, 2009.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    i'm interested by both these models (with 2 pu's in both cases)
    any feedback on how they are different in sound? (i allready know about the weight difference and the specs...)?

2. El Jefe

El Jefe

Jun 25, 2008
    Sacramento
    how about the neck? is it the same or difference and how so?

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Stingray/ alnico pickup,P-bass type neck
    Sterling,ceramic pickup/jazz neck,smaller body.

The Sterling is a little more aggressive than the Ray,but both basses are great. I personally prefer the Sterling. That's why I have 5 of them.And you can get them in a single H,Humbucker/single coil,or HH configurations.They're all good!

4. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    The Sterling might just be the perfect bass:D

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    The Stingray might just be the perfect bass:D

6. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    ah man! you guys aren't helping me, you're confusing me even more!

7. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    The Sterling might have a little punchier sound but they're really not that different sonically, the main difference is how they feel.
    I like them both so i might not be very helpful to you :p

8. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

The Sting Ray is wired in parallel and the Sterling is wired in Series. The difference while subtle is noticeable to my ears. I have an SR5 with the 3 way switch and I usually play it in series mode. Series mode is, as mentioned above, a little punchier but still retains that MM sound.

9. Both great basses, you're going to have to play them both to decide...

10. ronlitz

ronlitz

Apr 20, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The Sterling single humbucker model has a 3-way switch which offers serial, parallel, and single-coil mode. The serial mode has more pronounced mids than the parallel mode.

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I hear the parallel mode as being more zingy, brighter and snappier while the series mode is thicker, meatier and has less top end sizzle. Its nice having the tonal options but if you can't find tonal nirvana in a band mix with a single pickup Ray, then no new bass is going to help you!

12. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I may just be high on too much coffee and allergy pills, but I never cease to be amazed at how incredible my Ray4 sounds when jamming. Its hard to judge the tone of a bass until you hear it sitting in a mix.

I have a Ray4 and a Ray5 and have compared the tone of them extensively. The tonal differences are subtle but the basses have a distinct similarity and both just growl and snarl like nothing I have ever heard. I never even have to mess with the eq controls. Set everything flat, crank the volume and you're there! :) Just my 2 cents!

13. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

The OP was inquiring about an HH config which in a Sterling would be series with no parallel available.

14. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    I've played both the stinray and sterling at guitar center before. Through the same amp, the sound of the stingray and sterling in parallel mode were to close to tell a difference. The single coil was thinner, and series was a little more punchy, but I didn't have the amp cranked either. Unfortunately, they never have HH models, which are the ones I want to hear and probably buy. Do the ceramic magnets in the sterling contribute to more punch, or is it that they are wired in series?

15. G2K

G2K Guest

Jul 21, 2008
    Simcoe County, ON. CA.
    Except for the middle position (3) with all 4 coils enabled, the SL4 uses coils 1-3 and 2-4 in parallel with ea. HB in series, The SR4 uses coils 1-2 and 3-4 in parallel with ea. HB in parallel. My brief experience with the SL4 HH on this setting was very aggressive, strong mid punch vs the SR4 HH. Having said this, I think you could get very close to each's own sound with the EQ, I kept them flat for my little experiment. As the other poster said there are no wrong decisions here. I ended up with a SL4 Single H, go figure

16. Love the HH Ray's. The single H position is the same as a single bucker ray. The other settings are all different and are all very useable!

Plus they just look forking awesome

rays.

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It's all I can do to not buy a Sterling HS. Way better than a Stingray - IMO. Blue, matching head stock, white guard, maple board. Looks, plays and sounds great.

I may have to go play that again today...

18. G2K

G2K Guest

Jul 21, 2008
    Simcoe County, ON. CA.
    Alright, you have my blessing, lol

19. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Do the 5 string models play much different, as in feel? I am a long time SR5 player and I am interested in the Sterling because of the smaller body (hopefully lighter). I have yet to be able to find one in the Houston area to play. If anyone in the Houston area know where they have a sterling 5 in stock please let me know. I have tried GC in Clear lake and Rocking Robbin.

20. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    +1