MM Sterling with piezo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Jan 28, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    [​IMG]

I want a 2-pickup bass, and I love the sound of the Stingray but the size is too big. Do you think the Sterling with piezo would be a good choice?

What use would the piezo serve? I like playing things ranging from rock, jazz, punk, and reggae... would it be unneccesary?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Might want to hold off for a little while before you decide to settle on a sterling w/ one pickup. I've heard around here that EB debued a new sterling as the last NAMM with 2-pickups.:eek: :D

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    you better not be toying with my heart:p

that would be bad-ass, i've been looking for a sabre bass but can't find one that i like... plus i like the sterling's smaller body and neck... oooooo too excited

4. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Either get a used Sabre bass (mine's an '84, trans-red finish with clear pickgaurd and RW FB...fun!) or wait for this reported 2 pickup Sterling. Sounds really cool...bringing back the Sabre design, which is what the Sterling is with only 1 PU, would be great!.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The 2 pickup Ernie Ball bass did not debut at NAMM, they are still working on it.

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OOps, sorry maki guess I was toying around in a way but hey at least its in the works right?:( :rolleyes: :D

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I recall someone stating that they saw one, at NAMM. Your statement's a little... errr... premature, possibly?

Also, the Sabre isn't a 2 puped Sterling.
    It's pups are placed slightly different.
    I remember someone mentioning it, in another thread.

You should be able to find out about it, in another thread.

Finally, I think the Sterling could handle all the applications you want to use it in. It's preamp is quite powerful. I didn't see a need for the piezo. I figured it'd just be a waste of money. So, I didn't get one with mine. :)

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I've talked to a guy who went to NAMM and asked the people at Ernie Ball about the 2 pickup bass, and they said they were still working on it.

9. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    has anyone played a sterling with a piezo? what did you think of it (in conjunction with the MM pickup)?

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I've played a fretless sterling with the piezo pups... I didn't really like it that much.. It was ok.. But As Far as a huge tonal difference.. It just didn't do anything for me. Some people swear by them, and of course I was in the store and didn't mess with the bass for a long time so it could just be operator error... but for me, it would be paying more money for something you really don't need... just me though.

peace,

jim