Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sterling with piezo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Jan 28, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    [​IMG]

I want a 2-pickup bass, and I love the sound of the Stingray but the size is too big. Do you think the Sterling with piezo would be a good choice?

What use would the piezo serve? I like playing things ranging from rock, jazz, punk, and reggae... would it be unneccesary?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Might want to hold off for a little while before you decide to settle on a sterling w/ one pickup. I've heard around here that EB debued a new sterling as the last NAMM with 2-pickups.:eek: :D

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    you better not be toying with my heart:p

that would be bad-ass, i've been looking for a sabre bass but can't find one that i like... plus i like the sterling's smaller body and neck... oooooo too excited

4. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Either get a used Sabre bass (mine's an '84, trans-red finish with clear pickgaurd and RW FB...fun!) or wait for this reported 2 pickup Sterling. Sounds really cool...bringing back the Sabre design, which is what the Sterling is with only 1 PU, would be great!.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The 2 pickup Ernie Ball bass did not debut at NAMM, they are still working on it.

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OOps, sorry maki guess I was toying around in a way but hey at least its in the works right?:( :rolleyes: :D

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I recall someone stating that they saw one, at NAMM. Your statement's a little... errr... premature, possibly?

Also, the Sabre isn't a 2 puped Sterling.
    It's pups are placed slightly different.
    I remember someone mentioning it, in another thread.

You should be able to find out about it, in another thread.

Finally, I think the Sterling could handle all the applications you want to use it in. It's preamp is quite powerful. I didn't see a need for the piezo. I figured it'd just be a waste of money. So, I didn't get one with mine. :)

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I've talked to a guy who went to NAMM and asked the people at Ernie Ball about the 2 pickup bass, and they said they were still working on it.

9. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    has anyone played a sterling with a piezo? what did you think of it (in conjunction with the MM pickup)?

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I've played a fretless sterling with the piezo pups... I didn't really like it that much.. It was ok.. But As Far as a huge tonal difference.. It just didn't do anything for me. Some people swear by them, and of course I was in the store and didn't mess with the bass for a long time so it could just be operator error... but for me, it would be paying more money for something you really don't need... just me though.

peace,

jim