1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM Sterling Without A Battery?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john nam, Mar 6, 2013.

1. john nam

john nam Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    I've read in a thread before that Stingrays work without a battery and it sounds good, just the tone controls don't work and the output is weaker. Does anyone know if this is true for Sterlings as well?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    mine didnt work without a battery. i have noticed that on 2 band rays, there will still be sound without a battery. its not useable output though.

3. My 3band stingray doesn't work without batteries

4. john nam

john nam Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    just spoke with a tech that converted a stingray to passive and he said the output was super low, that the pickups were low impedance, like around 1k whereas passive pickups are 7-8k. does anyone know if there is a schematic out there to make the passive mode have a higher output without changing the pickups?

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    a stingray wired passive will still have decent outpul, its not like when you pull the battery from a ray. the humbucker is 2 coils wound to around 4k and in parrallel which brings it to around 2k. a jazz bass with two pickups dimed would have their resistance cut in half as well and the volume is still fine.

the pickup is fed directly into the input of the pre and the volume is after the preamp. you could wire up volume and an active passive switch before the input of the pre just like you would on a jazz.

6. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Try taking the battery out & see how it sounds. I broke the battery compartment on my Stingray (yes I know this is a Sterling Thread) thanks to an oversized 9v & it sounded flat & slightly distorted.