MM Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PDP2000, Feb 26, 2002.

1. PDP2000

Feb 17, 2002
    hey everybody, I'm inerested in getting a musicman sterling and I have a few questions. Do you think it is ok to get the bass used over the internet? Do you think it would be to much different than new? Also do you think they are very consistent, that is if I were to go to guitar center and play a sterling, do you think i could expect pretty much the same feel from a bass i had never played? Also what are the pros and cons of this bass? Is it possible to get a good fender p-bass like sound out of it?
    The more i find out about this bass, the better decision I will make! :)
    Thanks a lot for your help!
  2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    used over net-yes
    p bass-no

if your looking for a pbass tone, stick to p basses. if you want one because it sounds like a musicman, then you cant go wrong
  3. PDP2000

Feb 17, 2002
    I love the musicman tone for about 75% of the stuff I play, but for the other portion I prefer something more along the lines of a p-bass tone. Is it even possible to break away from the stereotypical "musicman tone" towards something a little bit more p-bass like?
    (I just dont really want to have to change between basses a lot, thats all)
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm going to go with narud on two of three here...

The Sterling is the only 4 stringer that I would consider owning (and I will own one...;) ). It is easily able to get many excellent tones, and a "pseudo-P" is among them, in my experience. Of course, nothing sounds exactly like a P except a P...
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Agreed. I am totally blown away by the palette of tones I can wring out of my Sterling. Of course, that three band EQ has a whole lot to do with it...
  6. PDP2000

Feb 17, 2002
    so the sterling has a pretty versatile tone that would fit in well with most geres of music?
    thanks for your help!
  7. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Buy the Sterling! You will NOT regret it. I've had one (used) from BNW for the past 6 years and I LOVE IT. Then again, I used my ebay-bought P-bass last night and it sounded grrrrrreat :)

Go with the Sterling. You will love it. Trust me. :p

8. PDP2000

Feb 17, 2002
    sorry for not knowing, but what's BNW?
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...and I just happen to know where a dead mint condition used one is. Satin natural finish maple board.

(see my signature....;) )