Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Sting Ray 5 bliss!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrioN_2k, Dec 20, 2001.

1. My local Music shop FINALLY got in a MM SR 5 w/Piezo. OMG the sound of this bass was so damn cool! I had fun with the piezo. Turned it down and had a tight punchy sound. Crank it and the low tones were so warm it was undescribable. I think I found my baby. Yeah I know I just started learning bass, but I never gave up on anything that I start so this thing is mine!! Besides, I'm doing better than I thought I would.

Thoughts?

2. Well, MM5er's do appear to rule quite a bit from most testimony.. and I played one in a GC, it was really nice :D I suppose you can't go wrong!

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I love my ray 5... thats all i have to say at this time :)

4. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    The SR5 rules I had mine for 2 weeks now and I can not put it down .

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I stated my opinion in your other thread...you sound smitten. Go for it!

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I played one for like 5 minutes while tryin out an amp to see if it could handle a 5 and see how it sounded. I woulda walked out with the bass if i had the money SR5 in sunburst with a white pickguard-the neck [maple board] felt great these are making me get GAS and the fact that the OLPs exist are tempting-i gotta keep on tellin myself YOU NEED AN AMP!!

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Stingray fives sound incredible. I would own one if the string spacing was just a smidge wider. I apologize for incessantly complaining about this, but it's really frustrating that EB/MM doesn't offer a wide 5 option. Thank you for allowing me to vent. I'm done now.

8. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    I'm with Fuzzbass in that I'd like wider string spacing since I too like C necks on my fours, but I find the sound of the SR5 irresistable so I ordered one last week and should be enjoying it in a few days.

Orion,
    Even if you are just a beginner, I see no fault in spending the money on a nice instrument like the Stingray. It took me a long time to discover how much more I like to play when it's on a quality bass. I used to have quite a collection of lesser-expensive basses, but I got rid of them all after I got my first (what I considered to be quality) American Fender. I've been through a few basses since, fine-tuning my collection to exactly what I like in a bass (leaving me with only two until i get my new Ray), but I play a lot more now because I enjoy what a good bass that "speaks" to me can do.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you saying you don't have it home yet?

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm fortunate to own two EBMMSR5's and the new one does, indeed, have the piezos. Outright killer, fershure. Wanna go from smooth jazz to funky slap city and everything in between? This here's the sh*t. BTW, the string spacing is just about perfect, I'd say.

11. I would if I could be the $$$$ isn't flowing.

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Live you might find the piezos to be too much sound. I found the MM sound to be quite massive to begin with. I did not like the piezos on my Carvin. Too much. I also found I liked the MM less the louder I played. I wanted a tighter sound. This is all personal preference stuff. I would buy another.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I imagine that piezos on a Carvin are quite different than piezos on a Stingray 5. The piezos on my 'Ray 5 sound great on gigs, whether combined with the mag p/u or alone for jazzy tones.

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Carvin has a jazz PU and a barely comparable MM pickup. All a matter of taste and preference.