Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Stingray 4- 2band vs. 3band eq?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jato, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    Hello all,
    My first thread here. I am a born again bassist, after being away for about 20+ years playing lead/rhythm guitar! Dont get me wrong, I still love playing Guitar, but I started in life as a bass player, and found that I still am at heart. My question today concerns my new MM Stingray 4 that is arriving via UPS(!!). It has 2 band eq, and a maple neck. I have played a couple of 2 band, and 3 band, and found the 2 band'ers to be better tonally. Anyone else agree? Opinions?

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Welcome aboard Jato
    I have just bought a MusicMan 4 a couple of weeks ago with the three band EQ and I must say that I love the three band, this is my first bass with active electronics and I got to say that I love the mid sweep. I never got to play one with the 2 band but I imagine its killer also I am on the lookout for a pre Ernie Stingray though and I believe that the originals are 2 band EQ and I have played a couple of pre Ernie's and they are the nut's. I say either 2 or 3 band your in for a great playing experiance!

3. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks for your timely reply, Funkster:
    I have a bassist friend who has a pre-ernie 2 band.
    Oh baby please!! Sweet through me eden rig, or his G-K. I'll get some feedback to you, but now I gotta fly outa here to meet the UPS man!

4. hmm, never heard that before.

i have a band Ray, but have played a few 2 bands and never really noticed the difference.

i'll pay attention to that next time i try out some basses.

5. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    Well guys,
    The MM StingRay arrived yesterday afternoon. Oh man, whatta bass! Transred with black undertones, and a white pickguard. 2 band eq and oil polished birdseye maple neck. I could not believe the action and tone of this guitar through my 6-10" Eden rig! A funk slapper's dream with absolutely outstanding tonal definition, both high and low end. Exactly what I was hoping for. Now my Lakland 5594 5 string has a great companion. Only one thing would improve this bass...a place to rest my thumb when using finger technique. I might get a transparent thumb rest put on, to match the transparent pickguard I have ordered. My bass GAS has subsided.
    ...momentarily!

-Steve

6. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh yeah,
    Almost forgot to mention the guy who gave me a great deal. Rob DeSantis, in Huntington Beach CA...thank you very much for the best instrument deal I have had in a long time! Rob has some other, higher end instruments, and amps too (I think) that he is looking to deal. You can usually find him on bassgear.com.

C-Ya

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Congrats Jato on your new arrival you got yourself a great bass I love mine!

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    On 3-band models, the bands are all cut/boost. 2 band models are boost ONLY. Big difference!!!!

9. I've always used the 3 band Rays.I've heard the 2 bands and they sound killer.The only reason I prefer 3 bands is because of my guitarists.I need that mid cut/boost to give me some edge to cut through their tonal range.If I were to come across a 2 band,especially a pre EB,I'd definitely keep it.Reading this post fuels my G.A.S. Whew!!! Somebody crack a window!!!

10. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    To quote Austin Powers: "Yeah, baby, Yeah!!!"
    or "Do I give you GAS, baby, do I?" I have my Ray on my desktop as wallpaper today, and oh my what a sight!

11. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Jato

it can't be- yep it is!
    as i was reading thru this thread, i started thinking, man that sounds like my old stingray! then when you mentioned robs' name, and i knew it! that used to be my bass!

jeesh, what a small world.:)

i traded it to rob not long ago, and he told me he'd find a good home for it. sounds like he succeeded. i agree, rob is great to do business w/. easy to talk to and you can tell immediately he knows his stuff.

anyway, back to the musicman. congratulations- that is a great bass! by far the best feeling mm i have ever played. personally, i prefer a jazz width neck and rosewood board, so i was never completely comfortable with it. otherwise i would have hung on to it. sometimes i wish i did.;)

fyi, when i bought it, it had been owned by another guy for just a few months. by coincidence, a bass he had owned long ago showed up at the store, and he wanted it back badly, wishing he had never gotten rid of it. he had no money, though, so he had to trade the stingray for it, even though he LOVED that bass. i know the owners pretty well, (both great long time bass players) and they knew i was looking for a different bass, and they told me i should check it out. they are music man dealers, and they both agreed that there was just something about that particular bass- something that set it apart from most other rays that come thru there. that neck! i've played many stingrays since, and none have come close. and that birdseye maple is GORGEOUS! the tech guy i bring my stuff to even commented how nice that bass set up. the thing plays itself! if you like stingrays, then you got the ONE. can you tell i miss it, just a little? like i told rob, though, it has done nothing but sit for the last year, and in my opinion a bass can do nobody any good sitting in a case. a bass NEEDS to be PLAYED! so i'm glad it's in the hands of someone who will put it to use.

just thought you'd like to know the story behind it.

also- i called the factory when i got it- it was manufactured in may of 97. i can't remeber if i told rob that or not.

give it a good slap for me and enjoy! you got a keeper!

-bibby

12. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow!
    That is amazing that a former owner would pick up on this thread! Small world... Yes, this Stingray is really some kind of wonderful alright. I think there might be
    something special about the year 1997 and Music Man Bass/guitar production. I have a couple of friends who have instruments made in that year. One has a 3 band eq StingRay 4. One has a PRS 6 string Custom 24.
    Its hard to believe that this instrument is a 3-4 owner!
    Well cared for...believe me, I intend on carrying on the tradition in all respects, except for selling or trading it!
    Great tone and that neck is awesome! Stay in touch, and if you see or write Rob D., give him my best.

Steve

13. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow!
    That is amazing that a former owner would pick up on this thread! Small world... Yes, this Stingray is really some kind of wonderful alright. I think there might be
    something special about the year 1997 and Music Man Bass/guitar production. I have a couple of friends who have instruments made in that year. One has a 3 band eq StingRay 4. One has a PRS 6 string Custom 24.
    Its hard to believe that this instrument is a 3-4 owner!
    Well cared for...believe me, I intend on carrying on the tradition in all respects, except for selling or trading it!
    Great tone and that neck is awesome! Stay in touch, and if you see or write Rob D., give him my best.

Steve

14. Bibby

Bibby Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2000
    hey steve!

yeah, i didn't play it a whole lot, i KNOW rob didn't play it a whole lot, so what little wear came from the short time the first owner had it.

i don't know rob personally, we just made a made a bass trade. we've e-mailed a few times since, just when something interesting comes up. i'll probably write him about this coincidence, and tell him you said hey!

see ya,
    -bibby