Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Stingray 4 upgrades?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Dec 10, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    What can be done PUP and EQ wise to upgrade these basses. I have a 95 and it sounds great now but I am curious about making it even better. What do you all suggest?

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    You can change the pickup or preamp, I have the Basslines (alnico pickup and preamp) in my '94 and I love the tone now, I couldn't stand the brittle highs of the stock electronics. But if you think that the tone of your SR is great I'd say keep it stock.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks. What all does Seymour Duncan offer for the rays? What do the different PUP/pre combos offer tone wise?

4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    find bellow the review I sent to bgra.net. They offer tow versions of the pickup, one with alnico magnets (like StingRay's stock) and one with ceramic magnets. I haven't tried the ceramic, but according to the Bass Player review, its sound is more aggressive, with more clarity and less middles.

The preamp: I had already installed the preamp a few months ago with the stock pickup. Pros: The brittle, "electronic" highs of the stock preamp were gone, the mid control is cleaner. The slap contour switch is not only great for slap, it gives you a round, warm finger tone for softer styles where you don't need to cut through loud guitars. Cons: The installation guide is s**t. I was lucky b/c I had a wonderful guide written by Bill Bolton who had had to deal with the problem first. I found the low freq. control set too low for my tastes, but now I like how it works with the SD pickup, I suppose that they were designed to work together.
    -The pickup: mine is the alnico version, never tried the ceramic. I have added a switch in the control plate for series/parallel operation. Series is louder, with more lows and mids and cuts like a knife, its like a StingRay in steroids. Parallel is the stock wiring: The tone has deeper lows (with the preamp set flat), and it's more refined than that of the stock pu. The G strings sings as never before, even when I roll off the treble completely.

-Conclusions: If you're happy with the stock pickup and preamp why change it? well maybe to try something new and see if you like it more, you can always go back to the original. I'm not going back to the stock stuff, sure it's good, but the SD is better (IMO and for my taste). I've got a variety of tones that the StingRay didn't give me before.

hope this helps
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

5. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Sweet. Thanks for all the great info.