MM Stingray 5 or Lakland 55-94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, May 27, 2005.

What do you think?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2005.
  1. MM Stingray 5

78 vote(s)
  2. Lakland 55-94

98 vote(s)
  1. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    For funky, rock and sometimes ... Jazz
    What do you think fit the best?
    I'm a slap man ... but not too much
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is the penultimate no-brainer. Go for the versatility of the 55-94. I own them both and the Lakland will work for many more situations than the SR-5, hands down.
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I'm going to vote for the Stingray, as long as it has the 3-Band EQ. It makes THE difference in the tonal range of the bass.

4. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    As the owner of an SR5, which I love, I will say it's an amazing bass. I've bought several high end basses and ended up selling them, and just seem to keep coming back to the SR5. It's my only constant in my never ending search for a bass that will let me stop searching for basses. However, what I miss is the ability to get that kind of open sounding and deep funky, gospely sound (both slap and finger), and I really want to get that in a 5 string. I'm wondering if the new SR5s with extra pickups will give that to me, because if so, no more boutique basses for me. And it might be because I'm not that great, but I just don't love the SR5s slap tone...It's not the tone that I hear in my head, which is again, a bit more "open" sounding.
  5. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Where can i hear both sound? Lakland and MM?
  6. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    Honestly, while we can point you to recordings that use both basses, it's just really hard to use that to decide which bass is right for you. For one, the necks feel very different, and if I remember correctly (cause I haven't played a Lakland in a while), the StingRay's string spacing is narrower than the Lakland's.
  7. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Big difference in price. The Lakland is more polite. The SR5 can be polite but can also be very in-your-face.
  8. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    But if he can get a Skyline version, we're pretty much in the same exact price range, right?
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've had a MMSR5 and a Lakland Skyline 55-02. The Lakland is more versitile.
  10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 sez it all.
  11. Deep

May 8, 2002
    I'd say the Lakland also. If you wanted it to be more aggressive like a Ray, get it with the Basslines instead of the Barts. But I have NO problem getting aggressive with the Barts that are in there now. Also, yes, the price difference with the 55-94 to a Ray is pretty big. The 55-02 should be in the Ray price range.
  12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  13. stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    SR5 has a growl the Lakland doesnt' quite get.

Also sr5 is 34" scale, Lak is 35" -- it's a different feel - you may like one or the other. I play an old pbass alot, so I like not having to switch scale lengths.

Both good basses.

The new 2-pickup SR5 will be interesting...
  14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1, but the 55-02 is really more comparable anyway, even tho the Ray's a US and the Skylines are Korean.

The thing to keep in mind is the 02's are 90% the bass for 50% the money... noting that the 5 strings have the graphite bars like the 94's, AND the FULL USA electronics package, and fully finished/setup at the US shop, too (including a complete fret dressing as/if needed, which is SIGNIFICANT!).

I'm researching trying a set of basslines in mine, but I'll be honest with you, when I solo the MM pickup and just add a touch of bass, I can actually play at a lower volume and still hear myself clearly because of how well it slices thru (like a Ray)... and that's with the stock Barts! I'm totally lovin' it.

Oh, I should also add that even tho I don't own one right now, I LOVE SR5's, so this isn't just about smackin' one down.
  15. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    The SR5 is built better IMO. I've played a USA and a Skyline Lakland - Music Man holds it down in that category.

I know allot of people say the SR5 isn't versatile, but it is. You just have to know what your doing.

I'd wait myself... Word is Music Man will be offering a MM/Single Coil setup soon. THAT is the best of all worlds! ;)
  16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I can't really agree that the SR is built better than the 02, at least IMHO, as I'd compare my 02 (at least) very favorably to any SR I've played, tho I will admit it's been a while since I really A/B'd them.

However, I notice you currently have an 02 and a Bongo, and I take it you've played a lot of SR's... I do wanna' ask about weight. Used to be the SR's were generally really heavy... my 02 is fairly heavy too. First, is your 02 pretty heavy, and, are all SR's pretty heavy too, or are some of them a lot lighter?

As happy as I am with my 02, I continue to GAS for an SR5.
  17. IMO you can tone a StingRay 5 down, but you cant really get that agressive tone thats so good for rock and funk from a Lakland with Barts like you can with a SR5.
  18. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    My vote is with CG. The SR5 but wait until they come out with the new pickup options.
  19. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'm always in favor of comparing apples to apples when possible, so I'd have to say the comparison should be between the built and finished in the USA models of both basses.

I have a Skyline, too - a Scheff sig, and I think it's a fine bass.

The Skyline series are great bargains.

The SR5, at about the same money, is also one of the best basses in the world. (Yeah, I know, some people like to spend five, six thousand on basses. Diminishing returns in action.)

And were it my decision, yeah, I might wait to see those dual pickup Stingrays.....but hey, now that I think of it, I'd just buy both and be twice as happy.