Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Stingray 5 vs. Thumb/Corvette 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumzini, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    From the recordings that I believe have a Stingray 4 or 5...i really like the driving sound it has...however. I'm just not sure about only one pickup...(it also seems the more Stingrays I look at the more I like them)...silly huh? Seems like there is more tonal variety with two. Also it seems like the recordings I've heard with them are more root note oriented...the Warwick players seem to be a bit more "technical" for a lack of better terms. (I am not saying that all Warwick players are technical). I just need some more advice...I'm thinking of setting a limit of a grand US on my next bass. I want 5 string..just not sure which way to turn....btw...playing hard rock metal with a bluesy edge.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with an SR5. It does have the same electronics as a Sterling so it does have more versatility than a 4 string stingray.The bit about warwick players being more.... w/e. Unimportant. Just because a player plays different has nothing to do with the bass.

3. Stingray 5.....AWESOME B string (snappy!) and the whole mojo of the Musicman. The Thumb is a cool bass but blah looking if you ask me. (Ovankol everything? Cmon.....) Never played a Corvette. I've heard nice things about the Streamers.....Forget about it. Go for the Stingray..........

4. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    tough choice buddy, as an owner of a stingray4 and a thumb 5, neither of which i would part with. the style of music you said however, metal with a blues edge, does sound something more like a stingray tone to me. simply based on that i would say go with the stingray. also i would say that ive heard more "technical" or whathaveyou playing on warwicks, but that doesnt make it better playing, you dig?

in the end, for that style, i would choose the EB. it can definitely come closer to a more traditional blues tone, while the warwick would be for that nu-metal or whatever us kids are playing these days.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I never liked the B string on any of the Corvette Standard 5's I've played. I did play a fretless Vette Proline 5 that was incredible all around though; so definitely play one before buying, it might not be your cup of tea

I have only played two SR5's, one sounded great and was really versatile. The other was kind of "meh" for some reason, maybe my tastes had changes since the first, not really sure.

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I knew the technical thing about Warwicks would come across wrong. I know I need to just get out there and pick up a 'Ray. Nobody has 'em round here. Warwicks either for that matter. Hopefully going to Low Down Sound this weekend to try them all. Since I have been blind to Stingrays until recently...what is the thinking behind just the one pickup...is it in the so called sweet spot, so that's all that's required. I take it the B is nice and tight...also it seems the ones I've looked at ar 34" scale...is that right?

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Si senor.

But the Sterling/SR5 both have onboard eq and selection between Single Coil/Parallel/Series modes, so the sound is pretty versatile if you tweak it correctly. Try a Bongo if you want two pickups, I've heard they sound amazing.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had an SR5 some time ago. I am currently on the way to a new 5er, and I am apparently leaning towards a Thumb BO 5. (I actually would love a Thumb NT 5, but I can't afford one currently).

I am just aware I need a very good strap, and that I'll have to hold the Thumb a little upper than any other bass. Though, on the specs sheet, the Thumb BO (8,14 lbs) appears to be much lighter than the Thumb NT (11 lbs), and even lighter than the SR5 (10 lbs).

Cheers,
    JL

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

OK...sounds like it has plenty of tone control. So what is the thinking behind 1 pick up then??? Just dosn't need another??? Other than looks what's the difference between the Sterling and Stingray???

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sterling and Stingray 5 are very similiar. Same electronics. Sterling and Ray 4 are not.

11. Apples vs. Oranges vs. Grapefruit

I stick by the citrus fruits because two of these basses are made by the same company.

And I'm not sure if this has been said before, but it's really up to you which one you like most, because some people can think two totally different tones can work in the same general music sound.

12. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Oh...I know it's al up to me. I was just looking forsome pointers in theStingray field really. I've never been really interested in them until recently. I can't wait...maybe in the next few days I may be able to check them all out personally.

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

13. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Which one would you choose.I'm thinking about buying one and i play hardcore but i love playing jazz,funk,pop slap stuff.which would you think is better?

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Please tell me your idea of hardcore is not Norma Jean.

Either way, I'd go with Sterling.

15. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    norma jean,agony scene,isis,from autumn to ashes,thirty called arson,Zao.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    ISIS! Hardcore? I definitely would label them that. :D

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Thats all metalcore, dude.

Hardcore: punk influenced, listen to some Stretch Armstrong, Agnostic Front, Bane, That Was Then, Kids Like Us.

There is a big difference between the chugga chugga reet reet metalcore and hardcore.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Arguiing about genres, thats about as pointless as .. playing guitar!

19. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I wouldn't say arguing, as much as defending a genre. Hardcore music usually has a message, wether political, social, or motivational, and metalcore is a genre that is based on fashion.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Whats the difference between pop punk, emo, punk, and pop rock?

Who cares.