MM Stingray 5 with replacement Fender Truss Rod ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Ok, Got a question for you guys...

One of my friends is considering a swap... he wants to swap his Stingray 4 for a Stingray 5.
    he's found someone that is willing to do that swap, however, my friend personally knows the luthier that the other bloke takes his basses to, and this luthier has told him that that Stingray 5 has had some (unspecified) problem in the past, and that he had to replace the original trussrod with another. which happens to be a fender trussrod... :confused:

placing my alarm bells aside... If the job was well done, do you think that would change the qualities of the bass adversely?

Would you, in my friend's shoes risk that swap?

Thanks for your help.

ps.: He's planning to do the swap on NYE... the other dude is playing his hometown that night...
  2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Aussie, you should probably move this question to the other side (Bass Guitar). Someone in the BG Luthiers Forum may have more expertise on the subject.
  3. OOps. Didnt notice this was the DB section, sorry guys, any Mods willing to send ths over?
  4. Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Those things are easy to find. I'd wait for one without a history of problems.
  5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Unless that other bass has some serious MOJO happening, and even if it did, probably not. I don't think there is any problem with the truss rod being Fender inseat of MM. If it works, it works. But was there something about the wood or the way the neck was cut that made it twist? And how likely is that to happen again?

And as UT pointed out, we're not exactly talking about a hartd to find bass here.