1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD MM Stingray 5H, Black, Matching headstock, Black Ice pickguard, player wear

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mrufino1, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I am posting my stingray 5 string only because I want the helms singlecut that is for sale now, if the helms sells, I won't be selling my stingray. My hands are becoming more arthritic so the 33" scale would help me out.

This ray has some players wear, not a museum piece. There are dings on the bottom in the paint, and 2 filled in holes. I bought this from jtlee earlier this year, and he explained that when he got it, the previous owner tried affixing the strap a different way, then put it back the way it was but left the holes. Doesn't affect the playing at all (the one is on the back and can't be seen if you're playing, the one on the front behind the bridge is not very noticeable. There is a small scratch on the back of the neck around the 3rd fret, again, I don't even notice it when playing. Finally, the tuner on the B is not the original tuner, but it works just fine and the string stays in tune (sometimes I forget to tune at the beginning of a gig and the whole bass is still in tune- not bad!). Aside from a few of the paint nicks on the bottom, the bass is the way I got it- the paint dings I realized were from the stand I was using, so now I use a hanging stand. Also, small ding on the upper horn on the front of the bass, I couldn't get it to show in a photo. It sounds like a lot, I know, but none of it will affect yoru playing and people have commented on how cool the black ice guard looks with the black body and matching headstock, I just don't want anyone to be surprised with nicks or dings that I didn't disclose.

How does it sound? Great, just like a stingray 5 should. It is also a pretty light example, right around 9 lbs, definitely comfortable over a long gig. I have the straplocks on it, which will be included.

I have gaffer tape over the pickup because I don't like the feeling of touching the polepieces, but it will come right off with no residue should you not want it there. Also, I have a mute on there with velcro for motown tunes which I'll be taking off, also no marks left behind.

Currently it is strung with ghs flats, which can stay on there, or I can put rounds back on if you prefer. I don't have a case, but I will ship it in a broken protec contego gigbag (broken strap, messed up zipper), which is only good for shipping- although I have a RMA number, I just never fixed it, and I would be happy to try to take care of that and see if they'll fix it for you.

I need $800 shipped to US, exactly what the helms is going for. Do you have another shorter scale 5 string? I'd be up for a trade, but that's the only thing, don't want to move to another 34” or 35”, and not looking for a 4 string.

If you go to www.shutterwax.com and listen to our cover of “Monkey Gone to Heaven” you can hear this bass.

My wife has our camera at work, so the blackberry pictures are the best I could do today, but if you need something else just let me know. Not that my terrible photo skills are going to do any better! Thanks, feel free to ask any questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Sold Pending payment, thanks.

3. Jotha

Jotha

Jul 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    So there goes my JJ Helms... :crying:

4. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Sold, payment received and yes, I purchased the Helms. I hope to be its final owner, I have a feeling I am not going to want to put it down. Thanks!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.