Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM StingRay 5's-Neck size like sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by E.A., Jan 11, 2003.

1. E.A.

E.A.

Jan 11, 2003
    I've heard that the new StingRay is really a Sterling
    but with 5 strings. Was wondering if the neck size was smaller than the original StingRay.

2. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    The Stingray-5's neck is quite a bit wider at the nut than a Sterling's. (The dimensions are on their website.)The easiest way to describe the feel of MM necks are:
    Sterling-very similar to a Fender Jazz, 1-1/2" at the nut
    Stingray4-very similar to a Fender Precision, 1-5/8" at the nut.
    I'm not sure of the exact measurements on a Stingray-5's neck.
    Watch out for sloppy neck pockets on the newer Musicman basses, I believe their level quality is slipping.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Stingray 5's and NOT sterlings. That rumour started because the sterling came out with a 3 way pickup selector. The Stingray 4 doesn't have it but for some reason the Stingray 5 does. That's the one and only similarity between the 2 basses. They look different, they feel different, they play differently.

Oh and my new Stingray 5 certainly shows no signs of falling quality.

4. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Pete, I'm happy you found a good MusicMan. I'm simply making people aware that compared to my 3 MusicMan basses(made in 98',2001,&2002)I've seen many MM's with large gaps between the bodies and necks. It's my opinion that EB is so backlogged with orders that they're letting SOME(not all) sub-tandard basses reach the market.

Just my opinion

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually there's probably some truth to that. My bass took 4 months to arrive in Australia, so they're definitely backlogged.

I got lucky then. Or maybe they're taking steps to improve? Anyone have any gossip on this?