1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM StingRay 5's-Neck size like sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by E.A., Jan 11, 2003.

1. E.A.

E.A.

Jan 11, 2003
    I've heard that the new StingRay is really a Sterling
    but with 5 strings. Was wondering if the neck size was smaller than the original StingRay.

2. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    The Stingray-5's neck is quite a bit wider at the nut than a Sterling's. (The dimensions are on their website.)The easiest way to describe the feel of MM necks are:
    Sterling-very similar to a Fender Jazz, 1-1/2" at the nut
    Stingray4-very similar to a Fender Precision, 1-5/8" at the nut.
    I'm not sure of the exact measurements on a Stingray-5's neck.
    Watch out for sloppy neck pockets on the newer Musicman basses, I believe their level quality is slipping.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Stingray 5's and NOT sterlings. That rumour started because the sterling came out with a 3 way pickup selector. The Stingray 4 doesn't have it but for some reason the Stingray 5 does. That's the one and only similarity between the 2 basses. They look different, they feel different, they play differently.

Oh and my new Stingray 5 certainly shows no signs of falling quality.

4. bassdude63

bassdude63 Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Pete, I'm happy you found a good MusicMan. I'm simply making people aware that compared to my 3 MusicMan basses(made in 98',2001,&2002)I've seen many MM's with large gaps between the bodies and necks. It's my opinion that EB is so backlogged with orders that they're letting SOME(not all) sub-tandard basses reach the market.

Just my opinion

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually there's probably some truth to that. My bass took 4 months to arrive in Australia, so they're definitely backlogged.

I got lucky then. Or maybe they're taking steps to improve? Anyone have any gossip on this?