MM Stingray Bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fetch Da bass, Jun 1, 2002.

1. I just bought a used Musicman Stingray. I was wondering about the bridge on this one. Look at the attach file. I have seen a few MM with this style of bridge but don't have a clue what those 4 clip-on looking metal knobs are for, Is it the EQ??/ :confused: This is my first MM. It definitely has a sound of it's own. but good! Thanks.
  2. Maybe they are string mutes or part of a string mute setup?
  3. Yep, it's the string mute assembly minus the foam string muting pieces. Turning the thumb screws raises the metal things to engage the mutes, assuming there are some.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Maybe cut-up an old mousepad, get some super-glue?...:D

5. Hey notduane, you really DO look like Duane. And your icon is a little scary--it seems to blink.
  6. Thats a good idea but, I find Super-Glue to be a little out of my price range. I will usually use Mediocre-Glue. :D
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what does a bass mute sound like engaged?
    why are they even there?
    i know rickenbacker has them to on the top of the bridge cover.

9. Yeah! A mute. That makes sense now. I mean this bass makes all kind of strange string noises. You hit one string and they all start ringing a little bit. it's kind of crazy!!!! Having it muted would calm it down a bit. I play mostly Fender Jazz Basses and sometimes a p-bass. This bass seems a bit transparent sounding and not at all as organic sounding as my passive J- bass. I like it thou. I can get some really sweet sounds out of it that I could never get on my Fenders. Thanks for the info..
  10. Mike Burduck

Mike Burduck

May 21, 2002
    Hi, Fetch Da Bass!

Yes, those are string mute assemblies that are missing their rubber mute pads. You turn the screws to raise the mutes so they (as you might have guessed by now) give the strings a nice muted sound. A real nice mellow "thump" that allows you to get a hand-muted sound. It sounds wonderful with flats.

The bridge on your bass shows that it was made around '79. That's when MM switched the location of the serial number from the neck plate to the bridge, and also started putting the "Music Man" name on the back lip of the bridge.

Notduane's picture shows a variation I've never seen before. It shows the string mutes installed backwards on the bridge! Interesting.

Hey, see the post I'm about to write about pre-EB StingRays!

Let me know if you have any more questions about your StingRay.

Take care,

PS Hi, Funky! Be sure to get it right, now.
  11. Mike, Thanks ... the serial number is 40856 what year would that be? I think the dude I bought it from said it was from 1996 or so! I really wanted to get a Sterling but the price for this Ray was to good to pass up.... .I am liking it better the more I play it. I think I will put some half rounds or TI flats on it. the rounds are way to bright....
    Thanks Ben.
  12. Mike Burduck

Mike Burduck

May 21, 2002

Although I'm not quite up to speed on the EB-built MM basses, '96 sounds right. Unscrew the control plate and there should be a date sticker on one of the pots!

13. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    What year is mine!!! I have been trying to figger it out and I can't seem to get the info. It has the same bridge (with only one mute pad left!) and a four bolt neck.
  14. Mike Burduck

Mike Burduck

May 21, 2002

Send me your serial number. Also, there should be a neck and body date that you can see if you take off the neck. Four-bolt necks started around 1980, so I'de guess oyur bass is no earlier than '80.

Let me know!

Take care,