Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM: Stingray compared to Sterling...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Ok,

In my quest for a new bass, I am trying anything and everything, and I have led myself back to my first love as far as basses goes. The stingray...The tone of a stingray is perfect to me right now, but I am interested in the slim neck/small body on a sterling...My only question is, do the sterlings sound: fatter, thinner or the same (in the lows and low mids in particular, but even in general? How does it differ tonally?)

Thanks
    Graham

2. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The way I look at it is like this:
    The Stingray is more like a P bass, more aggressive, etc, and the Sterling is more of a Jazz, not as agressive, etc.

3. But would you say one sounds thinner or less round then the other?

I know I'd be cool with a sterling neck/body, and I've played a stingray and can hand the neck/fretboard/body just fine as well...so now my biggest concern is which is going to get me a fatter, thicker tone??

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Sterling does not quite nail the Stingray tone, IMHO, but it gets close. As close as a Stingray 5 does, anyway.

5. Any insight on which one would be best for a fatter or "thicker" tone? I would guess the stingray because of teh bigger body and such, but I figured I'd ask anyways...

6. for a thicker tone, sterling. it has a series setting, whereas the normal parallel setting sounds a bit hollow to me. i like stingrays but i don't think they sound thick.

7. Depending on your price range and finish preferences, don't overlook the new S.U.B. models either. I played a S.U.B. 5 string recently, and I like it more than my SR 5! Very nice for the price, so if you're okay with the look, you may have a winner.

8. played a sub today and something just didn't tickle my fancy with it

9. honestly...I liked the fingerstyle tone I was getting from the stingray today, but I want a bit fatter slap tone...the best example for how I want the slap tone to sound is like the intro of "take the power back" by rage...tim commerford's tone there is spectacular...It sounds really fat, but still keeps the stingray tone...

I wish I knew what exactly his settings were for that slap line and/or what he was using along with the stingray...

10. One thing I like about the Sterling is the 3 way switch. It makes a big difference.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree.

12. Of course if all you ever want to use is series, can wire the SR that way.

13. As long as everyone's answering and such...any clue what Tim Commerford used amp wise or pedal wise on Rage Against the Machine's self titled album? That slap tone is what I need...fingerstyle is already where I want it...but the slap on the ray just needs a bit more low mids and mids I think...that opening line on take the power back seems to have a tad more punch and balls than I've heard from a ray in the past.

14. Natural Vibes

Natural Vibes

Jan 6, 2004
    Hawaii
    Not sure if this is correct, but I thought Tim C. used a Fender Jazz bass...

15. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Both the Sterling and Stingray are excellent basses. I haven't ever played a Stingray, but I've tried a SUB and a Sterling. I got a perfect slap tone from the sterlin, it was so sweet. I would recommend a sterling and then an eq pedal. You can boost the lows if you dont thing you have enough. And you can also try thicker gauge strings. I think a 0.110-0.50 is excellent for slapping.

16. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm partial to Sterlings over Rays b/c of the smaller neck, body etc. Truthfully, I've played planty of both and to me they sound like one thing: A Musicman. The ONLY time I've noticed any tonal variations are when the Sterling is switched to a different setting with the PU selector or when the fretboard is maple or RW. They're both great and sound identical, IMO. However, I'd rather own a Sterling and do.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    he did but hes asking amp/pedal wise.

I used to have a link to a site that had his amps and effects on it..

18. No,

Hes uses jazzes now, but for their first album, he used a Ray...

19. Yeah, I have live videos of them and everyone one for that album he is playing a natural SR, either without a pickguard or with a transparent one.

20. what kind of fretboard?