1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM stingray. EXTREMELY dissapointed.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tried one in a shop, it was horroble, i have heard about theese basses before and everyone said they were great but it was really nasty.

it was really heavy, the neck was chunky, the pickup was uncomfortable to rest my thumb on, and it was generally very dissapointing to play.

whats going on dudes :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They can sound good but I don't really rate them all that much. I guess I like things a little more hi-tech.

3. I gather you didn't like the tone either? I for one love my SR5 and will never give it up. I've owned a few nice basses, including a USA Lakland 55-94D, and I sold them but kept the 'Ray. Most comfortable, best sounding bass to me.

Different strokes I guess..........:meh:

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If one bass was perfect for everyone, there would only be one bass company with one model.

5. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    stingrays are not for everyone but in my opinion they are awesome basses and very comfortable to play

6. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    It's not generaly a good idea to judge a bass by what's hanging on a shop wall. They are not very well maintained (usually) have horrible set ups and have basically been beat on by every teenage rock starr wannabe in town. See if they will set it up properly for you then see how you like it.:D

7. my shoulder got tired very quickly, i am used to my squire wich is very light, and i liked the tone of the stingray but it just wasnt enough to balance out the feel.

8. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Then keep the Squier, eh?

9. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I almost sold mine on ebay after the first gig with it. The D and G strings just seemed way to compressed. After a little tweeking and playing it out a bit more I found myself really liking it. Its been over 2 years now and I'll never give up my Stingray, it's in the regular rotation now.

10. If you ever play a pre-ernie ball stingray you'll know what all the fuss is about. I'm not about to give up my 61 jazz, but an early stingray is about the closest I would come.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    So what would you say are the big differences between a pre-EB and a current model?

12. +1

Heavy, not that bad

Chunky neck, not as chunky as some other well known basses

Pickup? thats personal preference, one thing i do like is the sloped bit on the side of the pickup on the HH and HS models (the bongo style pickup cover).

13. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    If set up properly, a Stingray is usually a great bass.

If it didn't work for you this time, find one that's been taken care of and try it-I hated the first SR I played, but got a chance to try one again recently and really enjoyed it.

Or, try a Sterling.

14. Moose308

Moose308

May 3, 2002
    Canada
    I have a 30th Anniversary Stingray. Very nice. But then I do like "chunky" necks.

But not every bass is everything to everyone. I would take the other's advice and check out several different Stingrays if possible. Anything hanging on a store wall is liable to be out of whack.

Once you finish trying out all the other basses in the world, try out a Bongo. Buy it. You'll never need to buy another bass in your life.

15. Stingrays have their own distinct tone which you might just not be into. Then again I rarely see anyone who doesn't think stingrays are a great playing and sounding bass.

My guess is you got a bad one. Even the 1k+ basses have a few rotten apples pop out. Quality control isn't ever perfect my friend. You can find epiphones that sound better than custom shop gibsons.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If only they had 24 frets.

17. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    That's what Bongos are for! :hyper:

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've never made any money playing up that high on the fretboard.

19. Like Nino mentioned, no one bass is for everyone.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Stingray either because of its neck profile. I also find that my Sterling does a pretty good approximation of the Stingray, making it remarkably "versatile."

20. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    one major difference is the pre eb ones are old. also, before making cookies the Keebler Elves used to work at Music Man and added some magic to the wood. some humans refer to this magic as "mojo" but the truth is its centuries old elven magic.

when Ernie Ball purchased the company the elves were all laid off and, after much deliberation by the tribal elders, the elves decided to start making cookies. The Keebler Elf magic (aka "mojo") that once used to go into the bass making process is now reponsible for cookie deliciousness.

Rumor has it that stuffing a Keebler cookie in the control cavity of a new SR4 will imbue it with the missing Keebler magic thus giving it the "mojo" of a pre EB 'Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.