1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM Stingray Fretless - SOUND CLIPS, PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elementeighty, Jul 20, 2007.

1. elementeighty

elementeighty

Jun 23, 2007
    Hello there,
    I concider buying a MM Stingray 4 Fretless.
    The thing is that I live in Israel and there's only one store that sell MM stingray, but not fretless:(
    So they told me that if I decide to buy this bass, they can order it, but if I don't like the sound or whatever, I still have to pay for it.
    The Stingray is very comfortable for me, and I really like it's fretted sound [with maple fingerboard:p], but I never heard the fretless version before, just read very good reviews about it as a fretless bass.
    So let's get to the point - those of you who own this bass - can you please send me [here or P.M] sound clips of it? it's really improtant to me!

Thanks!

P.S: I wrote it for a friend:p

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Look for some old Paul Young records or anything in the 1980's with Pino Pallidino, and youo will hear a fretless Stingray.:)

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Check my sig. Each tune on my solo CD is either all my fretless 'Ray 4 or entirely my fretted 'Ray 5. :)

It's pretty obvious which tunes were done entirely with the fretless. :D

4. Ill try and get something up later if i have time.

Id recommend forking out a little bit more and getting an HH or HS ray. The extra tonal options are amazing :)

5. Cool tunes man, the ray sounds great :)

6. elementeighty

elementeighty

Jun 23, 2007
    WOW man, when I listened to Dawn, I totally shivered!
    Is that the original sound of the Stingray fretless? don't you use some effects? because it sounds AMAZING and so different!

[all the comments to this topic are written by my friend, the one who is looking for sound clips:)]

And do you have some sound clips of MM Stingray fretless HS or HH?

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Also look for Tony Levin's recordings. There are two songs in particular, "Silhouette" and "Utopia." They are on iTunes, for example. They have some primo SR fretless playing.

8. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    Sade's first two records - Diamond Life and Promise - have fantastic sounding fretless Stingray work by Paul Denman

9. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    and that di'angelo album with Pino and Questlove...great music.

10. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    I think Pino used a P bass on that D'Angelo album

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Thanks. :)

12. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Wow! Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to put it under the 'reviews' section of my page. :cool:
    All the tracks were done direct thru a Peavey mixer into my dated Roland DAW, the 880EX. Most of my tracks ended up pretty dry...'verb only. I really wanted to keep things as pure and natural as possible on this one. I'm seriously considering exploring processing for my next project tho.
    My fretted 5 'Ray is traditional single 'buck in the bridge position. My fretless 4 'Ray is single 'buck in the bridge as well as the piezos in the bridge. You can really hear the difference on the recording.
    Thanks for asking. :)

13. elementeighty

elementeighty

Jun 23, 2007
    Do you have sound clips without the piezo turned on?
    Because if I decide to order one, it will be without a piezo pickup. Too expensive:crying:

And please, if anyone here have MM Stingray fretless [with no extra pickups], help me and post here some sound clips!

14. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Well, take Dawn, for example. The lead was all humbucker & the bass part was all piezo. The harmonics and chording should be all humbucker only(if my memory serves me); just different EQ settings done from the bass itself. I only used very little EQ from the DAW during the mix stage. The vast majority of the EQ you hear was done during the tracking stage on the bass itself.

15. ETEcarmine

ETEcarmine

Jun 29, 2005
    NYC
    I played a fretless Stingray for the first time about a month ago. It was an SR4, single pickup. I was amazed. With round wound strings, it sounds just as ballsy and punchy as a fretted Stingray. So if you like the SR sound and feel, then go for it. It's great having that SR bite with the "mwah" slide sound of a fretless.

16. Cool and very different yet ear friendy too!!! KUDOS!

17. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    thanks a bunch! :) :)