Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Stingray Neck Discolouration

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Winston TK, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Have any of you MM Stingray owners even noticed this?:

A definite line on the back of the neck between the neck and headstock where the wood colour differs somewhat? The headstock wood is still pristine. But, as is to be expected after several years of use, the neck wood has darkened a bit. Why is there such a precise discrepancy in colour? I would have assumed that the neck and headstock were all fashioned from one piece of wood.

Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question.

2. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mine has that too. It's due to the oil and wax finish that they put on the necks. If you head on over to ernieball.com, they discuss this in the FAQ. If I remember correctly, they use Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, and then seal it with Birchwood Casey Tru Wax.

3. Its surely something to do with the fact your playing it? and that the oils from your hand are mixing with the finish ?

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Because the headstock is laquered, the neck isn't. You probably need to clean the neck.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My sterling has that too. Cleaning it doesn't do anything. I noticed it, but never thought much about it.

6. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Maple necks will discolor after a few years of use. I compared my 96 Stingray to a new one earlier this year, and I was amazed by the difference in neck color.