MM Stingray pickup routing template

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by synaesthesia, Aug 26, 2009.

1. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Has anyone got a source for a commercially available Stingray pickup routing template?

2. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
  4. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    cheers for the pointers

5. Hi.

$9 for 5"*8" piece of 1/2" MDF????

For that price it should be high quality plywood or plastic IMHO.
    If not, then at least HDF, not fancy cardboard.

Why can't You make one yourself?

Regards
    Sam

6. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Must the vegetables in your food come from your own garden, tended by your hand, and your TLC? It's cheaper to grow your own as it is cheaper to glue up a hippie sandwich that is cheaper than Alembic.

I am looking for commercially made template.

7. Hi.

OK, point taken.

Not that I grow my own food or even eat vegetables that much :D. Meat is the way to go.

On all the other aspects of life, You're dead correct, DIY is my way (expect for that one linked closely with reproduction ;)).

Regards
    Sam

8. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    obviously you missed the part that Best Bass Gear is a business and not a non-profit charity.

since these are CNC made there must be account for the shop rate to utilize such a machine plus the design time to CAD the template and author the g-code. don't forget the time to obtain the raw materials plus the cost of the MDF itself. once you have all of this figured, remember to add in the time it costs for someone to operate the CNC, manage the inventory, and provide updates to the website

for the casual bass fiddler who will utilize one of these templates once or twice before tossing it onto a shelf and forgetting about it, that $9 price is an absolute bargain

I'm sure if somebody wanted a more durable template they could custom order one in a different material

all the best,

R

9. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Not to mention it isn't their CNC shop. It's outsourced. So they gotta pay their supplier too.

10. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Make your own and you will realize that $9 is pocket change....... I hate making templates

11. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Bassbestgear have informed me that they will be re-stocking templates to include a MM 4 string profile but these new ones will be in (clear?) acrylic and not mdf; but for now they haven't any.

12. No I didn't miss the part about them being a bussiness, but then again I didn't miss this either ;) :

If the $9 MDF piece feels like a bargain over there, I'm happy for You. For me, over here, milking like that will never fly.

Edit:And my gripe isn't with the price so much, but with the possibly the worst matrerial choice they could have made. Happy to hear that they're changing to acrylic.

Regards
    Sam

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I never said it was a bargain, tho others did. but that is what they charge for what is desired, from their company.

You can get standard acrylic templates from Stewmac for 5 bucks and change. Just not a MM humbucker. The shape is not rocket science, unsure why more don't offer one, barring copyright (would that even hold?) issues I don't like MDF either, too soft, but unless you are bullying the router around the template, they should hold up.

14. Hi.

The bargain part was directed towards Rodent after pointing out the outsourcing that explains the cost with Your post, not towards You even though it looks like that to me also now when I look at my post again. My bad, I apologise.

A pickup shape as generic at the MM humbucker can't be copyrighted as several other companies offer that shape also?

Acrylic templates for $5 sound about right and reasonable. Double for MDF, not.

As for the G-Code for a MM template Rodent pointed out, I'd say 5 minutes max for an inexperienced coder like me, 2 minutes for an experienced one. BTW, no CNC water jet or milling machines I know of use simple G-code input anymore. All are interactive interfaces which are super fast for a simple part like that.

Regards
    Sam

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No worries man, no big...just hypothesizing aloud, myself.

As for the other companies selling the MM model pickup, maybe they get away with it because they are marketed as a direct replacement? Again, just thinking....I am with you tho, that these templates should be more easily found, cheaper.

And yes, writing code for these pups' template is 3 point holes and a rectangle pocket rout. 5 minutes tops, definitely...most likely a one bit job (unless the corner radius are different)

16. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    sure, everything in the world should be of a higher quality and sold for less :rolleyes:

the OP asked for a source and was provided one. several people who actually have a real bass building business commented that the price was fair

5 min of shop time at $75/hour (a very cheap rate compared to what is the norm for many places I have submitted RFQ's to here in the US) = $6.25 ... add the cost of obtaining materials and the overhead to stock the items plus a little profit for the company who makes these available for sale and you quickly see that $9 isn't unreasonable (you do recognize that low cost items usually carry a 100% retail mark-up, so these should be priced at $13-$15 if you follow a good business model as taught in economics school :) )

I stand by my $9 being a bargain for those who want an accurate pattern and will use it once or twice and then toss it on a shelf and forget about it. while not an optimum material for repeated use, MDF works perfectly fine for routing 1-10 of whatever the template is designed for.

cool if you aren't able to justify it and can make an equally accurate one for yourself. for those who can't (or for those who recognize that they'll spend more than 15 minutes making a template that's probably less accurate) there's a commercial product available at a reasonable cost

I'd argue the economics of this topic with you more ... but I've got basses to complete for paying customers who prefer I work on their bass build vs. 'playing' on internet forums.

all the best,

R

17. Rodent sounds bitter : P

But i agree with him, Id kick out the 9 bucks, then use that template to make myself a nice lexan 1/4 inch template to use for day to day use.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021