1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM Stingray pup in a Fender style bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by free_Bassd, Jul 29, 2012.

1. I am curious if this is something that anyone has done. I want to start a project that includes a bit of wood working and finishing. I thought that I could order a warmoth unfinished neck and finish it myself and maybe make my own body (or again go with an unfinished and unrouted body) and do all the routing for the preamp and the MM style pup.

Does this sound like something that is do-able for a novice project? Is it even really worth it?

by the end of everything I might have a good bass for slapping and have a little more experience with minor wood skills.

any input is appreciated!!! thanks!

2. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Warmoth can do what you want. So can USACustom Guitars. I've done a few P bodied basses like you are looking to do. Only problem is that you can't get a pick guard from them, but if you give Terrapin guitars a call, they can cut one for you. You just have to send them a tracing or pay for a template.

Here is a pic of a 72' slab that I built a while back. It really came out cool.

CompleteFront.

Feel free to PM me if you need help ordering the right parts or help with finishing the neck.

Peace.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    It's definitely s doable by a novice with patince, and if you are not up for it, lots of companies doing these. You should be able to find it with no problem

4. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    It is definetly doable for a first time builder. I bought a neck, some timber and all the hardware for this as my first build:

DSC_0050.

I started with set of scale Jazz bass drawings, made a body template and all the appropriate hardware templates and set to work.

Needless to say, I gained a huge amount of knowledge of the build process with this bass and really caught the building bug!

Here is the build thread if you are interested:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/1st-build-695689/

Not vastly detailed as it was an afterthought due to a long timescale for completion but it might help / be of interest to you :)

Good luck bro!!

5. thank you guys for all the good examples to look through! I'm pretty sure that I can get this done after I buy a router.

next thing, what woods should I use for the neck/fretboard/body to most accurately simulate the stingray sound?

6. Syco_bass

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    If you are really ambitious you could do the neck yourself, but that is the most difficult part.

For your first build, I would buy a neck from an on line parts company like Mighty Mite, Warmoth, Allparts, USA Custom Guitars, etc. There are many to choose from.

And get some experience in Assembling, Setup, wood working, finishing, Nut filing, Fret work, etc.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of money and time, and don't mind starting over if you mess things up, go for it. I would use Maple for the neck and Rosewood for the fret board. They are easy materials to work with. USA Custom Guitars can get you the raw materials.

Also you'll need templates. There is a guy on e-bay that makes templates for just about every application.

Good luck.

7. for sure. I was not about to try and do anything with a neck except for put a finish on one. I figure I'll order something from warmoth, I was extremely happy with my last neck from there. I figure though with a template and a router I could use like some cheap pine or something to practice on before I start using whatever body wood I was going to really use. I just want it to sound like a stingray when played and slapped. I know that the type of woods used changes the warm/brightness of the instrument.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    To make it sound like a Stingray, your going to need the electronics out of a Ray. Sometimes you run across pickups and preamps in the TB classifieds, or ebay. Aftermarket can get you close, but to sound like a Ray you need Ray guts.

Use a maple/maple or maple/rosewood neck. Body wood isn't that critical IMO. If its going to be painted I would choose poplar, its pretty cheap, easy to work with, and is tight grained so it takes less work to finish. If you are going natural, pick the wood that pleases you aesthetically.

9. Syco_bass

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Nordstrand and SDG Luthiery build pre-EBMM pre-amps that sound darn close. I've used them and really like them with the MM style p/ups.

+ 1 on Maple body.

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I was thinking a 3 band pre. The SDG preamp I think is pretty much the same circuit as the old Ray 2 band, good call. I have no experience with Nordstrand MM pickups, but I have a Duncan that just doesn't quite nail the MM vibe.

11. Syco_bass

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I have used both the SGD and Nordy, both are faithful to the pre- EBMM tone. The Nordy combo is a bit more grindy, to my ears,but that may be do the pickup winding I chose more than pre. Either company can wind them how you like if you tell them what you want.