Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM Stingray String Suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fong249, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I've been tooling around with my stingray and the right strings for the longest time. Currently i have EB Regular Slinky on, Nickel, 50-105 i believe. I'm liking the finger and pick style tone, but the slap tone leaves a lot to be desired. On the other hand, I have had a set of D'Addario prosteels on, They were cool and all for some slap, but finger style and pick left alot of clank, excess clank. I found myself pulling alot of treble from my tone just to not destroy the ears of my listeners. I've tried rotosounds in the past, but tore through the set like butter. popped the d string about 3 weeks after i purchased them. Anyone have any idea what to try next? I need a real solid, dark tone that makes slapping sound ace.

2. Bigby

Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    I just recently switched from the super slinkey's to DR ss High Beams and I'm very happy with the change. The strings have awesome punch and a very even and round tone. I was worried about them seeming to bright but actually after a couple days of settling in they sound great.

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I really like the thick tone I'm getting by using Dean Markley Blue Steel strings. I'm using the MED Mediums, which have the same size strings as what you are using 50, 70, 85, 105.

Not sure how they are for slapping, because, well because unfortunately I can't slap worth a :help: .... :D

I did not like the Slinkie's clanky-clank on that bass, so I switched to Blue Steels thanks to reading someone's post here who liked them, so I decided to try, and I'm happy with them.

4. Bigby

Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    DB High Beams all the way for me. Love everything about the string from the punchie yet warm bass, round mids and nice highs, not too much treble. Also sounds great with slap...

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For slap, I preferred D'Addario ProSteels on my Stingray and Marcus Miller Jazz. They're nice slap strings.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I go between Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys and TI flats on my maple SR5. Both sound killer. The TI flats especially give a real nice and punchy sound if you don't need all of the clatter that roundwounds give.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    DR LR SS

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Ken Smith Rock Masters are a good stainless string.

Dave

9. i use dr hi-beams lite guage

10. Bigby

Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    DR High Beams, medium

11. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    Blue Steel, mediums, nice dark/growly tone no harsh high-end:bassist:

12. +1