1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM Stingray & Tru-Oil

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sub41, May 30, 2011.

1. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    I picked up a used Stringray HH-4 a couple weeks ago and love the guitar. The neck was a bit dirty with some minor wear marks that would be expected from a gigged bass. I had already cleaned the fretboard and polished the frets when I first got it, but without any Tru-Oil I opted to just surface clean the neck and leave it the way it was.

I went to the range to do some shooting today and brought home a bottle of Tru-Oil...what a difference after some steel wool and a fresh oiling. Cleaner, smoother, and it has that wonderful firearms smell to it now.

2. FarkusSWR

FarkusSWR Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Treasure Coast, FL
    That is good stuff. When I cleaned the back of my StingRay's neck I hit it really light with some 1500 grit (IIRC) sandpaper then oiled and waxed it according to the instructions on the MM website. That thing is as smooth as silk.
    Was it the Birchwood-Casey stuff you used? I had to open a window when I got the wax out lol. Instant headache, for me anyway.

3. RoboChrist

RoboChrist Guest

Jul 8, 2009
    I have noticed a lot of crossover between rifle owners and stingray owners. I guess it makes sense to take up both hobbies if you want to keep that ray neck clean...