MM Stingray vs G&L ASAT bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by addylewis, Dec 28, 2005.

1. just wondering - ignoring the middle position pickup - is there really any difference tone-wise between the 2? Which one is better? - I know its all about personal taste, but i've just been thinking about them and I could only get one of them if I were to get a new bass - whats the tonal difference between them? - what do the knobs/switches to on them both???
  2. Semi-hollowbody vs. Solid Body.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id say drastic difference just because its not he same preamp and pickups. I like the Stingray a lot better, and the Sterling even more than that ;)
  4. i have a stingray and i love it, but i've wanted to an ASAT forever, but when i went to the guitar store that had them both i came home with a stingray, so you do the math. :) hahaha
  5. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    Big difference! The Ray's PU is positioned sort of in between the two Asat PU's and this makes for a completely different sound. G&L has their sound and in my IMHO nothing sounds like a StingRay but a StingRay.

6. c'mon man, can't you even do a little bit of research? G&L and MM both have websites that can at least give you basic specs. i mean, these are both over $1,000 new, and you're asking us about specs and tone? try playing both and turning the knobs! it's really obvious what the differences in the two basses are when you play them!

7. Mahlon

Jan 27, 2005
    Bennettsville SC
    Wow. Thanks Robb. Glad you could stop by.
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Just as a point of reference, not all ASAT basses are semi-hollowbody. You can get solid-body ASAT's. :)
  9. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
  10. thats just the thing - music shops in England (particularly Sheffield) are crap and have the same Rickenbackers/Deluxe Fenders/Westfields/trace elliot stuff that first came into the shop from 5 years ago because no-ones bought it...lets put it this way, to MOST people in England Sadowsky, Zon, Cirrus, G&L, and all these other high end basses don't mean anything because we just don't get any of that stuff over here in shops...they can probably be ordered in, but because of the high price tag (probably about the equivalent to americans as buying 2/3 of the particuilar bass) they just mostly have a COUPLE of good ones and stay away from the good stuff you guys always go on about (lets put it this way - it took about 7-8 months after they came out before I walked into a shop and saw (FOR THE FIRST TIME)...a Line6 Variax bass) - probably because people will be scared off by the price (a pack of cigarettes over here is probably $12 (US) and a $850 (US) Rickenbacker would cost £850 ($1900-ish?)...) - I don't even know if shops over here can get half of that stuff, let alone G&L,Sadowsky or sansamp...or else I WOULD try one out for myself :spit: :spit: :spit:

oh yeah - I was referring to the solidbody version of the ASAT :D
  11. (sorry about the rant guys, but everythings just so expensive and hard to get hold of over here - our MINIMUM wage is £5.45 per hour - is the american minimum wage $13 per hour?)
  12. American minimum wage is now $7.50.

Back on topic, I'd go with a Stingray. I've played the ASAT, great sounding bass, real powerful IMO. But I like the sound, looks and feel of a Stingray more.
  13. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    As much as I love G&L basses, I'd have to say Stingray. The ASAT bass is an ergonomic nightmare for me, neck dive and no forearm contour, with a long reach to the first fret. Stingrays are really great basses and there are lots of them floating around - I see more Rays on ebay than ASATs.

Stingray vs. L-2000 would be a much tougher call for me.
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
  15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I *just* got an L2500 (which has a simmilar pickup config to an ASAT, right?), so take this with a grain of salt. To me it sounds a lot more like a P bass than it does a Stingray, no matter which pickup you are using. Fortunatly that is exactly what I wanted :hyper:

Only a Ray (or sterling) sounds like a Ray. If you slap a lot go for the ray, if you play fingerstyle its a toss up.
  16. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have an ASAT and a MM Sabre which I run in the Sting Ray position with the bridge pick up only engaged.

I'm not good at descriptions, but to me the ASAT is a little more mid and high mid punchy while the SABRE is more low mid punch.

I like both sounds and only limit the Sabre's gigging due to it's vintage status and encounters we've had with drunks.

If you ask me, you can't go wrong with either. To me, the ASAT's look a little more cooler and unique.
  17. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Had both, the ASAT in solid blueburst, but just didn't like the feel of the ASAT in spite of the many control settings and powerful pickups. I still have the SR4 tho'.