MM Stingrays and their trademark fret noise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Dec 24, 2000.

1. while trying to get rid of fret noise on my stingray and seaching talkbass i noticed that the problem i have been trying to fix is not uncommon. i have a 1999 stingray with a maple neck and fret board. the guitar shop i bought it at "set it up for me" about a month later i wanted to put on larger strings to diminish the fret noise, and because i prefer larger strings. fret noise wasn't as bad but recording it makes the fret noise really come out, i raised the height last night and a freind of mine that knows more about setup tweaked it a little more tonight, new set of strings same noise.
    sorry to ramble but i am wondering how many stingray owners have this problem? has anyone cured it? and if you have what is you setup like. at this time i am using D'Dario 115-55
    i love this bass but i want to get it to sound better on tape. thanks for any help
  2. well i brought my bass in for setup to a new place, he ajusted the truss rod, and left the brige alone, he said he felt i got the noise because i pluck the strings to hard, probally picked that up from living in an apartment for 6 years and practicing without an amp most of the time. anyone ever have this problem?
  3. Hi Gruffpuppy,

I have a StingRay 5 and I haven't noticed excessive fret noise compared to my other basses (unplugged). I can get fret noise from all of them due to having my action on the low side and playing aggressively.

OTOH the 'Ray's punchiness does emphasise fret noise more easily. I saw a similar query in an old issue of Bass Player mag- the advice was to raise the action/play softer/tweak the EQ or a combination of all three.
  4. All Stingrays have the same fret noise that is just a part of the instrument, love it or hate it. Even with hi action and flat wounds you will still get that sound, I even tried a different pickup with nixed results.That's why I got rid of my very cool Stingray (got 2 basses and an amp for it) and put the pickup, a Bartolini, in my 'swiss army' bass.. .
  5. I bought the StingRay specifically for it's sound-frets galore.The pickups are quite hot and the frets are rather large,this definitely contributes to the "buzzing" that is easily heard.Also,dynamics is a big part of the StingRay's sound.The harder you pluck,the more you hear the frets;just listen to Tool and RATM.They're the reason why I invested in a MusicMan.I just love the sound.So,unless you go fretless,you will never get rid of the buzzing.
  6. i did find a way to get rid of the noise, i sold it.
    i loved the bass, but for recording i couldn't deal with it.
    probally buy another one down the road but not for what i have been playing these days.
  7. How much did you sell it for?If you don't mind me asking.Should I be on another thread? Oh well,you know what they say about curiosity.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

gruffpuppy - I'm having the same problem with the Carvin LB75 I recently received. I've been adjusting the Hipshot bridge saddles high/low, and have been turning the truss rod clockwise/counterclockwise, but still I get "click" and "clack" and not just above the 12th fret.

I've tried maxing my pups heigths so I'm forced to modify my somewhat typically hard attack. That helped minimally, but there is just too much music that requires laying some meat on the strings.

I've considered taking it for a pro setup but I really don't see what they can do other than what I've already tried. When I boost my high freq. controls, modify the crossover, or boost the amp handling the high freq.'s, the "clacking" is almost as much a part of the sound as the notes themselves.

I replaced the tapered roundwound strings that came on it with conventional roundwounds, (.045-.130's)- no difference.

My Precison and Rick, among others I've owned, don't have this problem, at least to this degree. Are we StingRay and LB75 owners just doomed?

(I know this thread originated with the StingRay, but I think the solution, if one exists, is germane to both of us.
  9. camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    The only suggestion I have ever gotten is get a fret job done on it. In my town it runs about $70. The guy at the store said he would even down the frets across the board and that would help. I am sceptical about the results, and have not yet spent the money to experiment on the bass. Although, if you turn your amp up and have a lighter touch, it helps a lot. It also helps your speed if you really practice it. That whole economy of motion thing.

Cameron Dye
  10. hey willie i sold if for $650 and yes it still hurts. lost $400 in a short amount of time. but i am much a happier.

rickbass1 sorry dude i went through the same thing, had it set up a bunch of times and it still did it. the last thing i was told was, stop plucking so hard let the amp do the work, just not the way i play. so i sold it.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

rickbass1 sorry dude i went through the same thing, had it set up a bunch of times and it still did it. the last thing i was told was, stop plucking so hard let the amp do the work, just not the way i play. so i sold it. [/B][/QUOTE]

:mad: DAMN!!! When I practiced, I tried being so sweet to it, you'd think I was Sheryl Crow on her Jazz. I don't want to sell it because the doggone thing gives me about everything I ask of it. Luckily, the snare drums and guitars make it imperceptible in the clubs. But alone with my rhythm trainer, it's like the sympathetic drone on a sitar. Not continuous buzzing, just mettalic "clinks" when the strings are attacked. I've got a St. Louis gig in 2 weeks plus a little studio job. I was hoping to use it.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-04-2001 at 04:51 PM]
  12. same thing RB1 it was fine live but when i recorded all i could hear was fret noise, which in turn got my bass lower in the mix.
  13. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Ever try playing with your fretting finger on top of the fret?

14. $650.00??!!! Ouch,wish I had the money to take it off your hands.Well...I'm happy for the other person who bought it.Man,this site is a good place to find great deals on gear.Wow!!
  15. yea Rockinjc i tried playing that way and it only got worse.

i know Willie Dizon its a little painfull but when i hear the sweet tones of my Thumb Bass the pain fades

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got a '92 StingRay and have never had a problem with fret noise. I use to have this Fernandes Jazz Bass copy, though, that had really narrow, tall frets that made an annoying, very high-frequency grating sound unless I was using groundwounds.
  17. It's all good,Warwicks are great basses.
  18. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I own a 2000 mm stingray 5 I'v didnt notice the fret noise until I heard my bass in the full range p.a. It's not as bad is the previous post make it seem. Just play a little softer. Pick playing will raise your basses sharpness and attack.
    And of course having a maple neck will give you a brighter sound(and more fret noise) I have a rosewood neck.
  19. TitaniumAngel

Aug 30, 2000
    You think S-rays make a lot of fret noise? Try an Ibanez Soundgear.
  20. I have the same issue :( I guess it's the bass and I can't do anything about it.