MM Style basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Dec 20, 2005.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    are there more basses with just a single MM pickup, like the 'original' stingray, and for example the modulus flea?

please post some pics here
  2. steve21

steve21 Banned

MTD Kingston Heir (I think that's the model)

Yamaha RBXJM2 (Hey, it's an MM pup... even though it's MIK)
  3. Ibanez ATK (300?), supposed to be able to do a great MM-like sound. Never tried one though.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its the MTD Kingston.

Warwick FNA something .. one of those models.
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    The Pedulla Rapture can be ordered with a single MM-style pup.
  6. Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Dean Sledge Hammer is the most recent model I've seen with that pickup configuration.

...and I'd still like some info about that Dean's neck profile. :ninja:
  7. Musicman Sterling
    Warwick ?jazzman? (i think it's the jazzman)
  8. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
  9. Peik

Dec 2, 2004
  10. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I think you can order a carvin with MM pickup alone too.
  11. Ibanez ATK 100 series, ATK 300 series, ATK 500 Series, ATK 600 Series and USA ATK series are all equiped with just a triple coil MM style pup

Ive got an ATK 400 which also has a Jazz neck pup, but its only being used by 2 of the 5 positions on the selector switch :) , so you could really use any Ibanez ATK, including the ATK 400, ATK 700 and ATK 1300 series :)

(At this point i'll point out that the ATK 100, 300 and 400 are the only ones your going to come accross on a regular basis, the rest are like golddust)
  12. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
  13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Lakland makes (or made, I believe they may have discontinued it) one, the 4-76 and 55-76.
    A MM style bass with wide spacing! How novel!!
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Pete Skjold makes a MM style bass. His Stage series comes with this style of a pickup, but you can also get it as an option on his higher end series (Pro, Custom, Exotic Custom). Here is a shot of my Stage 4 (which is one of his earliest models):

Here is a newer fretless model from Pete with the offset body style (and his own pickup):

15. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just to clarify, Pete's pickup is not an MM style, just in the MM position, and similar in size. Pete wont use MM pickups anymore (note, anymore - some of his earlier ones were MM on the stage series). I believe MM pickups are dual coil. Pete's C4 is just two single coils, in the same houseing. So you can still choose to use each pickup separately, or combine them.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point. However, with the similar pickup placement, I find that you can get a MM style sound (though with Pete's pickups you can also dial in a much wider range of tone). On the whole, I tend to think of the Stage series as a "Music Man style" instrument, but with a lot more flexibility (and playability) built in.

17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ya I agree with Tom, you can get the tone out of it, plus more. Just wanted it to be clear its not a standard dual coil pickup is all :)
  18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Not to mention the obvious, but OLP is one. Also, Washburn make a couple. I have one for sale :hyper: :scowl:! Seriously, OLP are not to bad as far as copies go. I like the 5'ers better than the 4's. Just a personal preference.