Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM style pickups for BTB1005 - some opinions please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maurice Carr, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    I have an Ibanez BTB1005 which is quite a nice bass but I am considering putting in an MM Singray style pickup at the bridge ( yes I'm aware some routing will be necessary ).

The reason for this is that I just got hold of an old ATK300 which has the triple humbucker and it puts out a very nice rich punchy sound similar to the Stingray. It's a 4str, I would prefer 5 and the BTB has such a lovely neck to play.

So, I'd value your opinions on what you think the merits of these 4 brands of MM style pickups are and what to consider when deciding the wiring/eq arrangement etc;

1) Kent Armstrongs
    2) Villex
    3) Seymour Duncan Basslines
    4) Bartolini

Also, should I consider a matched brand jazz pickup to put at the neck ( the bart sopbar supplied sounds quite nice already )

I play quite a range of music in a church band plus play in a blues/rock band and will soon join a rock/covers band. I do like the punchy bright of the MM Stingray, but I don't want to end up with a one trick pony.

Thanks in anticipation of some help.

Mo

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    If you want a real MusicMan type tone, I'd say the closest pickup would be the Nordstrand MM style pickup.

I find that the BTB preamp does a pretty good job of re-creating the MM tone even with the soapbars. Just dial in the bridge pickup. I was happily surprised anyway.

3. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    Nordstrand MM 4.2(Sting Ray) or 4.3.(Sterling). The best MM replacement pickups in my opinion.

4. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Thanks - I should have listed Nordstrand as a choice. I have no experience of the Sterling sound so which of these two would give me a more punchy/phat/growly tone? Or are these both the same. Does the 4.3 give me more tone options ( triple like the ATK vs dual in the MM )

Again, thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

Mo

5. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    Rio
    You're welcome Maurice. I installed the 4.2 on my Sting Ray and it has me a more traditional MM sound with lots of punch and a very warm sound . The 4.3 has a dummy coil on the bottom for single coil mode so you'll need extra routing on your BTB1005. It's a bit different from the 4.2 but it was a big improvement the on my Sterling sound. you can run it in series/ parallel or single coil.
    Good luck