1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MM Sub 4 - worth my time?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smo, Dec 4, 2005.

1. G'day everyone,
    Cheers to everyone for help previously. :)

I'm starting to get serious about looking for a new bass.
    I'm pretty much happy to get either a MM stingray or a sterling, but a friend of mine has just offered me a MMsub4, which is fortunate cos I'm after a 4 string.

I know they use only rosewood fretboards on the sub, and that they're poplar instead of ash, but what are the differences electronically? Will they sound the same (or close) as a stingray?

Opinions? Other Options?
    Thanks guys,
    smo

2. I believe they use the exact same electronics for the S.U.B instruments.

I believe you named all of the differences though between the standards and the S.U.Bs.

From what I heard, they do sound rather close to the original.

Others will chime in though.

3. UtBDan

UtBDan

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    they do sound rather close. Stingray has a 3 band EQ, SUB has a 2 band; Stingray has a more expensive paintjob, and SUBs are poplar & rosewood only.

They sound very similiar. Great bass, well worth the money IMO.

4. My daughter's man is an accomplished bassist, and one of his is a SUB, and he's fine with it.

Most basses today are better than those who play them. This is not a cut, just a complement to how much quality you can get from non-top of the line gear.

I have two MIM and an L1500. I will never be a better bassist than any of these will support, and I do OK.

[ edit ]

If you are starting out, I urge to buy used. Investigate the market, then try to pay no more than 66% of new-discount price. This will insure you don't lose your investment when you trade up. Trading up is inevitable.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I started out on a SUB Sterling, It was fine, keep in mind it's MM's low end basses. You'll get a GAS attack for something else. I did.

6. i actually just return my sub01 today and bought a "real" stingray today from GC.. and they sound totally different. the real stingray has alot more attack and punch great low end, amazing high head... i just couldnt get the sound i wanted out of a the sub so i dont know, but a real stingray is well worth the extra money, at least i think so.

7. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    sorry if this is a bit dumb but what does S.U.B stand for?
    ...be gentle :p

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Sport Utiliy Bass

9. Lewi_wilko

Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    thanks