Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM vs. MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by e p, Sep 6, 2005.

1. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    hey

Im deciding on a new bass, either a Musicman Stingray 5 or an MTD Kingston Heir 5. My budget is about $1,000. Ive played the Stingray and am very comfortable with them, which gives them an advantage over the MTD. Yet the MTD is cheaper. Now what Im wondering is if the MTD MM pickup is in the same place as a Stingrays. The MTD Im looking for have a neck pickup as well so it would be more versatile for me.

So would it be wise to go with the MTD 5 or Stingray 5? Im really leaning toward the Stingray.

Thanks for the help :)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Keep in mind that while the pickups in those two models LOOK similar, they are quite different on the inside. The SR5 has THREE coils, the Heir has only two. Just because it looks like a stingray pickup on the outside doesn't mean that it sounds anything like it. Most "imposters" are just two jazz-type pickups inside one casing.

3. I've never played the MTD, but I love my SR5. I'm sure you can't go wrong either way...you should save a little more and go for the new 'Ray with the dual pickups. (either the 2 Humbucker or single/humbucker combo.) Sweet.....

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I like oranges better than apples.

Apples make a nice hard cider and work nicely when paired with gamey stuff when cooking, but oranges make a delicious juice which mixes well with everything...

5. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    When are those dual pup rays coming out?

Oh. I got it. ;)

6. You can order them now, they should ship in a couple months. It takes like 6-8 weeks from order to completion for a MM from the factory. Check over at the Ernie Ball forums....pleny of photos and info on them there..

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Latest word on the dual pickup models is available in December/January timeframe......

That was a thing of beauty.

8. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Not quite. Stingrays sometimes, not always, have coil switching which allows you to go from single/single/dual coil mode. The 2 single coil modes sound almost identical. If they have a third coil, it's for humcancelling properties only. The MTD dual-coil is very similar to most MM humbuckers in both tone and positioning. It won't sound identical to a Stingray, but with EQing, it'll sound good.

MTDs have 3 coils, actually. One single coil jazz pickup and a dual coil pickup. It will be more versatile than a Stingray, no question about it. MTDs are usually more consistent when it comes to build quality and customer service.

I've never seen an EB MusicMan that played as well as any MTD bass whether it's the foreign made MTDs or the uber-expensive MTD USA basses. I suggest you play them back to back at the same store, before you decide.

-Eric.

P.S. - MTD Heirs will cost you far less for a new one than even a used EB MM.

9. Ummmm....my SR5 is one of the most solidly built basses I've ever owned. It was right there with my Lakland 55-94D as far as construction, and honestly the "B" string was as good if not better. The customer service issue is also in error as the guys over in San Luis Opisbo are some of the best reps you'll deal with, ask anybody on the EB forums if it isn't true. Again, right up there with Lakland. So I guess you could say I disagree with those two points. As far as playability, judge for yourself but the Stingray neck is legendary. No offense to Mike over MTD,the imports are nice, but nothing compared to his American basses. I concede if you are comparing an MTD 535 to a SR5.... the MTD, hands down. (Although in the Bass Player 5 string shootout, the SR5 ranked up near the top in almost every catagory, and was rated a top player, even compared to $3000-$4000 basses) Comparing the imports? No comparison in my book. EB wins.

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Actually, it's Dual Coil (Series)/Single Coil (+Phantom Coil)/Dual Coil (Parallel).

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I apologize on the electronics.

Yes, I was comparing the imports. I've played dozens of Rays both 4's and 5's and I've found that they vary a LOT. I've played vintage MMs and newer ones and they each had fairly different tones.

You mentioned that the B was as good if not better than a Lakland? I recall a B-String thread a few days ago where damn near everyone was ragging on how poor the Lakland B's are. MTDs are reknown for their B's both imports and American.

The American MTDs don't compare to the imports, but they're not supposed to. That's why one is $4000 and the others are $500-$700.

To the best of my knowledge this is an MTD import playing in the background. A Grendel, I hear.

Lastly, when it comes to versatility, are you really telling me that a J/MM bass is NOT going to be more versatile than a Stingray? It's pretty well known the Stingray is a one-trick pony, for the most part.

-Eric.

12. One trick pony to some maybe...I can coax a wide range of tones from mine. That being said, I suggested the DUAL pup models coming out in Nov/Dec. ( HH or HS configurations.)

I have yet to hear someone "rag" the "B" on a Lakland 55-94D, the bass I was comparing it to. Most if not all of the professional reviews rate that "B"as one of the best. 35" scale, string thru body....sustain for weeks and tight. The 34" MM is comparable.

You mentioned the build quality on MM as being suspect. I disagree. Again, most if not all the reviewers I've read agree that the EBMM is one of the best basses you can buy. You disagree, that's fine.

Either way, I'm sure the Kingston and Heir are fine in their own right. I wouldn't buy one because I know the MTD is really represented in the American series, not the imports. Still a nice bass...... but not an MTD to me.

13. Stingray.

This is coming from a current MTD 535 and former early Kingston owner. Kingstons, although very comfortable seem to be tone- limited to my ears.. As always, YMMV