Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM wiring question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I plan to put one mm pickup on my new project closer to the bridge (much like the set up on a sterling or a H bongo). I've done some research on the wiring for it but to be honest I am a bit confused. I plan to use this cheeper model of a mm pickup ( http://mailboxmusic.zoovy.com/product/BPU_MM4 ) for now, and when I get a few extra dollars I am goign to upgrade the pickup, but I don't know what and how many knobs to put onto teh body of the bass. can anyone help me? I know I need a volume and some "blenders" but fron herer i'm lost. Thanks in advance.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    mmmm... a bit but not exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I'm just asking how to wire this pickup system.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

this would probably get better response in the pup forum but will likely get moved there regardless.

Don't know about the details on this wiring myself. I have found that I prefer MM pups closer to the bridge than standard as well as Alnico 5 mags.

What I do know about the wiring is you'll need 4 lead plus ground to run the MM series/parallel/single pole. Some of the less expensive MM's are only two wire in series (like MTD Kingston MM). I don't know how this pup is wired or what it cost, but you can frequently buy a used MM (Bart, SD, whatever) for $50 - $60, occassionally shipped.

I've had a bunch of them, Nord 4.2 the latest, and found I prefer the Carvin Alnico 5 for which I paid less than the above quotes. If you're interested there are reviews on them in Dimento's MM experiment in the pup forum.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The pickup will come with wiring diagrams, I would hope.

There's no reason to think of an MM pickup as different than any other kind of pickup. You're going to have one signal coming out of it and one ground once you get parallel/series straightened out so you'll need as many knobs as you will for any setup with x number of pickups. If you have 2 pickups, you'll need 2 volumes or 1 volume and 1 blend.