1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM2919 Neck on a MIM Jazz Body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Shesakillatwo, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Shesakillatwo

Shesakillatwo

Oct 2, 2013
    I have a Fender MIM Jazz bass with what I would consider to be a poor neck. I would like to replace it with a fretless neck (unlined) and was lookiing at the Mighty Mite MM2919 fretless P bass neck with ebonol fingerboard. I have also seen a maple neck by EYParts which implies it is made for the J-Bass.

Before I drop any cash on either of these I wanted some feedback. I noted also that the Mighty Mite MM2919 specifically references P-Bass and there does not seem to be a Mighty Mite J-Bass version of the neck. Wanted to confirm that there are no scale length or other issues with installing the Mighty Mite MM2919 neck on a Jazz Bass body.

Also, I would like any feedback anyone may have on the EY Parts fretless Jazz Bass neck. I believe I would like the darker colored Mighty Mite neck, but could be swayed to the EYParts neck fairly easily.

If anyone has done this or has any input that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    The mighty mite p bass neck will work fine on your Jazz body. It just has a slightly wider nut.

I have been looking to do a fretless maple P bass neck and stumbled onto EYparts. I'm very tempted to order. Since they are shipping from China It would probably take a while to get here. If I order a neck I'll let you know how it goes.

3. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

I have that neck mounted to a stingray body copy, presently. Feels nice, sounds nice, no mounting or scale issues. It also fits the jazz body I bought it for.

The only real issue I can anticipate, really is string height. If you want to lower the action down far enough to get a proper mwhah, you have to drop the bridge pretty low.

4. If you are looking for a Jazz neck, maybe check
    out a Squier VM fretless neck. It would probably
    bolt right up.

Aaahhhhh..... forget what I said. I just realized
    you said unlined.