Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM4 Modulation Modeler??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrtreacle, Dec 30, 2003.

1. mrtreacle

mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Anyone ever use one of these? I'd like to know what the chorus and phasers sound like. Do you think it can handle a bass signal?

Any experience is appreciated.

Line 6 Link

2. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I use a DL4 with my bass. Though it is not the same pedal it is the same manufacturer and it can definately handle the bass signal. Some of the delays have modulation on them and they sound just fine with bass. I would guess that the signal would be good. I cant comment on how the effects on the MM4 sound.

--nerd

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I've got one. It's quirky but I love some of the sounds. Phasers are very good but not fantastic if you're comparing them to the originals, and IMHO they don't get slow enough for some uses. The choruses are easy to get "too thick" so use some restraint =0) That said, they're still the two best types of effect in the pedal. And it sounds every bit as good for bass as it does for geetar.

Trems are good but I don't find them useful. Univibe isn't very good. Flangers are weak on bass, maybe better on guitar there.

My four settings are Tri-Chorus, BiPhase, Phaser and Ring Mod (set up for a liquidy fuzz sound, i posted the details in a thread awhile back) The phasers are my favorite.

When I say quirky, I am speaking specifically to the fact that sometimes, the Speed knob is a little F'ed up. I'll turn it clockwise to see what a sound is like on full bore, but when I back it down it doesn't slow down. I can't be bothered to complain about it to Line6 unless I could get a "loaner" while it was being repaired or replaced. I use it a lot =0)

If I had to replace it, I might get a good chorus and a good phaser and leave it at that, but for 250 bucks, having a bunch to pick from *is* nice.

hope this helped.