MM4 or Tribute L2K?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakepaul1, Jul 20, 2004.

1. jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    Okay, I'm looking to purchase my first bass. I'm a guitarist converting over to the 'dark' side :cool: , so I've been trying alot of different models.

For me it's come down to either the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass or the Tribute L2000.

The Tribute is a great value from what I can tell and has great reviews all over - I like it's playablity and variation in tones.

I just played a Marcus Miller today and it wanted me to take it home. It played like a dream and looked great - sounded great too. Of course, I was playing through a Mesa Walkabout Scout.

Anyway, I'm really leaning towards the Marcus Miller. But, I want to hear others input/opinions...

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If the Marcus Miller touches you, get it. I have made several enthusiastic posts about my Tribute L 2500, I think that the Tributes compare very favorably with some high end boutique basses, but if you want the Marcus Miller sound, his Fender signature model is the way to go.
  3. jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    Thanks, Doc. I did like the sound as well, but the feel of the neck is what sold me. It's taking some getting used to switching from a 6-string guitar neck to a bass guitar and the MM4 was smooth...

4. MM4 is the second bass guitar I bought! (the third one is onnthe way!!)
    I'm getting a new bass only because I need a low B :D
    You can be sure of one thing, that the MM4 won't make you disappointed! It plays great, sounds great, looks great and is a very good bass compare to the price you'll pay it!

The only thing that IMHO I have to do is to change the preamp, because the one on it didn't satisfied me at 100%!
    Treble are poor IMO....

So if you fall in love with the MM4, I advice you, if I can allow me to do it, to buy it quick before someone else do it for you!
    You'll have a killer bass.
    You just have after to buy a good amp to use it at 100%

Just make the choice which seem the more "right" for you...
    Let your heart choosing for you!

5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I would say the Sadowsky Tokyo MM4 Bass
  6. +1
  7. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    People, the guy is buying his FIRST bass and is eye-ing a couple of mid priced axes. Why bother suggesting to check out a Sadowsky Japanese bass that lists for over $2,000? Hell, why not go out and buy a domestic Sadowsky for double that while we're at it?

BTW, I'm partial to G&Ls, however if you like a J-style neck, you might want to go with the MM4. That Tribute L2000 is more in the P-bass vein, neck-wise. On the other hand, if the Tribute SB-2 basses are like the domestic models, they have jazz style necks BUT it is a passive bass. On the plus side, they're supposed to be great, have domestic pickups, and are less expensive to boot!
  8. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    ok, good point, I hear ya. although a used sadowsky MM4 can be had for $1300. Bass Northwest just sold one used at that price....

anyways I have seen some extremely shoddy quality control of the CIJ Marcus Miller basses. if you are gonna go that route, I'd say get a Maple Neck USA Fender bass used for @$600, and send it through a used Aguilar DB-924 pre-amp for @$100. that (to me) is gonna sound much better than the Fender MM 4
  9. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA

Now that's a great idea! However if you want to keep things simple and if that MM4 is a bit shoddy in the quality control dept, then I say go with the L2000. The Tributes have gotten some pretty good reviews. The pickups are the same as the domestic models (versitle & powerful). You can also score one for under $600 with a nice gig bag to boot. Even though the preamp and hardware are imported, I've only heard good things about it and wouldn't likely need any mods at all.

10. geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    my only bass is Fender MM4,I am very happy with it and I ve had no problems so far.sounds great,but I would really like to try J-Retro pre amp,and see how it sounds like. never tried the tribute L2000,got to be a cool bass too.
    I would advise you to try Fender MM4 again,check out how it sounds passive and active?active it sounds great ,but in passive mode you dont have a tone control (still it sounds good to me),anyways mate,hope you get a bass you feel happy playing it.peace
  11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002