Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM5 WITH INTERCHANGEABLE NECKS??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Nov 19, 2002.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I am buying a fretless Musicman Stingray 5.

Seperately for sale I have seen someone selling a fretted maple neck for a MM5.

If I but the fretted neck do you think it is then ok to change over from the fretlless to fretted on a regular basis or would this lead to problems?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Emphatically NOT the kind of thing you want to try mid-set ;)

By the time you've removed the strings from the machine heads, unscrewed the old neck, screwed the new one on, refixed the strings and adjusted the action and intonation a fair amount of time will have passed... and that's not to mention the deleterious effects of wear and tear (broken strings, screws not gripping any more, etc).

It might be worth getting the extra neck in case you want to switch from playing fretless but I wouldn't seriously contemplate swapping them over on a regular basis.

Wulf

3. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    New from MATTEL:

The fully functional EB StingRay5, with insta-slap action and clip on necks. Comes with fretted and fretless. Tuners are a choking hazard.

:p