1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MMA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ironbar, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    sZSXqbb.

2. Amanda got the 'W'?

Wonder what's up with Ronda these days...

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    She was a novelty. The new generation of strikers can simply avoid her judo moves.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Old time boxing was about gradually wearing down your opponent with repeated punches. For well conditioned athletes, it would take many rounds to accomplish this.

At the other extreme is martial arts targeted at self defense (or sometimes offense) in genuine street fighting (or military combat). This fighting is designed to quickly incapacitate an opponent and purposely targets vulnerable points of the body such as knees, groin, throat, elbow, etc... A fight lasts less than 5 seconds.

Modern competitive MMA is somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

5. The UFC is starting to bore me for some reason. Maybe it's because of the constantly over-hyped boring match-ups.I like watching Bellator, WSOF and others from around the world on the fight channel. They are far more exciting usually.

Watching women fight isn't a showstopper for me.

Speaking of Fight Channel:- what happened to Fight News with John Ramdeen and Robin Black?

mpdd likes this.
  6. A bit of trivia, because I like to calculate these kinds of things: Rousey's 14 professional fights lasted a combined total of 37 minutes, 23 seconds. That's just a bit longer than one pro title fight in boxing (36 minutes). More than half of her pro ring time was spent in two fights with Meisha Tate.

7. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I have no idea why she got away from her meat and potatoes ground game and tried to go toe to toe again. Poor coaching.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I remember when Tyson fights lasted 30-40 seconds.

-Mike

viper4000, Funky Ghost and fretter like this.
  9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    It seems to me that the first MMA champions were the Brazilian style who powered through those strikers who were used to half power sparing matches. Then ex wrestlers saw that and were able to stop the take downs. To this day where they all. at least the men at this point actually train in all the styles

10. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    The info I got online was that Rousey got $3 million for losing. Nunes got $200,000.
    Retirement pay?

11. Wondering about that too. I've seen all her matches on doc reels....and now and again she wasn't too shabby at striking.

Now they are all blaming her coach because he doesn't know anything about boxing.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    "I once watched Gentleman Jim Corbett fight an Eskimo bare-knuckled for a hundred and thirteen rounds! Back then, of course, if the fight lasted less than fifty rounds, we demanded our nickel back!" - Montgomery Burns

BassFishingInAmerica likes this.
  13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I remember quite a few that lasted quite a bit less. ;)

MJ5150 likes this.
  14. so much this. she lost this one the same way she lost the last.

15. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The boxing folks seem to be saying she lacks their skills to slip punches and when matching up with women strong enough to punish her she was knocked out before she could use her judo.

16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Much like Tyson, the mystique of the unbeatable, intimidating, won the mental game before the match started, fighter was gone. Add to that the knowledge, in the deepest part of their psyche that they can be knocked out, and further that knowledge by making the K.O. a brutally devastating affair. Some fighters are never the same after that. The last piece is opponents are now emboldened.

Rousey is done. She would rather play World of Warcraft by her own admission. She'll be an action movie star instead.

17. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Until someone new comes along with a lightning fast legsweep.

18. Still not quite ready for Mayweather..

19. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    She only got the roles from Gina Carano in the first place because the general media sold the she was the baddest woman on earth story. Sort of like Chuck Norris at his beginning. With losses piling up there is no reason to hire her and not the next Michelle Yeoh, a real actor who can handle her own movie fighting/dancing

20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I think you are taking too much away from Rousey. Although she ( Carano ) came before in the acting vein I would say that of the two Rousey was the better on screen, to me at least. The last I checked, the win/loss of a person has NEVER entered into their ability to get an acting gig. Brand recognition ( her name ) helps, for sure. It opens doors, but being a name and being able to pull off an acting role are two very different things.

Finally, the general media didn't have to work too hard on that story. For awhile Ronda WAS the baddest woman on the planet. SHE pioneered woman's emergence into the UFC. not Cyborg or Carano, Rousey. Ronda doesn't need to apologize to anyone for her place in the MMA annals or her marketability to film.